Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native crashing DAWs

Bingit

After searching online for info others have on Helix Native crashing DAWs, I found very little on the subject.

On my older desktop rig, Helix Native runs fine in my DAWs (Cubase, Reaper and Cakewalk by Bandlab).

However, on my newer MSI laptop, Helix Native worked ok for a good while, like a couple of weeks of running it every day, and then for no apparent reason, started to crash when attempting to open it on an already existing track, or when trying to load a new instance on a track.  Projects saved with Helix Native previously added would open, and Helix Native would work, as long as I didn't click on the Helix Native to try to open it to make a patch change or something. The DAW (it didn't matter which one) would instantly crash.

I did several uninstall-reinstalls of Helix Native, and of Reaper and Cakewalk. I did registry edits to delete helix native entries there after uninstalling.

The problem remains.

Again, it is interesting that my desktop has never had a problem. It's an older Asrock MB Z87 board running a core i7 with 16gb ram.  The laptop is a newer core i7 running 32gb ram.

The DAWs all work as they should on both computers.

Out of all the other guitar plugins I use (Amplitube, Guitar Rigs, and TH3, I like the basic sound of Helix Native the best, like the amp emulations.

I am doing more mobile sessions and need to have Helix Native run on the laptop.

Any suggestions or solutions? Maybe get an older version of Helix Native? I'm trying to use the latest one (3. something).

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread, and a couple of suggestions emailed to me to try to help resolve the crashing issue of Helix Native in Windows DAWs, including Reaper,, Cakewalk and Cubase.

So far I have had no success getting Helix Native to work on my laptop (with no SD card installed, and the computer's only drive (the internal SSD) showing up as Drive 0 on the first line of the CMD prompt's listing.

All other plugins are running without issue. I have given up on trying to get Helix Native to work on the laptop.

Since it works on my desktop, the next question is, Do I need to have two licenses of Helix Native in order to get it to qwork on the laptop? My own answer is no, because it initially ran fine on the laptop when I first got it (June 2021) and installed Cakewalk and Reaper etc on it, without any warnings about demos or time limits.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I have not used Helix Native other than the limited trial but there was a similar issue at the time where it would crash before the interface would come up and it didn't seem related to the SD card thing. I don't know if it was the DAW's fault or Helix Native. It was stuck in some state where it thought it was authorized but wasn't. That prevented the UI from working and maybe the DAW expected something different. If you shut off your internet connection and then attempted to use it, the login screen would pop up asking for a re-auth. You could turn your connection back on, re-auth and then it would work. Last ditch attempt I guess.

I got Helix Native to not crash my DAWs on my new laptop after trying a myriad of suggested solutions.

The one that worked for me was to delete the User file for Helix Native (I just today saw this solution in a forum somewhere, and don't remember where, sorry):

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Line 6

Of course, your username is not going to be "username."

Delete the Folder named Line 6

Then, I uninstalled Helix Native.

Then I restarted the computer (an MSI Summit E14). 

installed Helix Native with default folder assignments.

I ran my DAW (in my case, Cakewalk by Bandlab) and opened same project I have been every time for testing Helix Native.

Next, I double clicked on the Helix Native plugin, which was already in this project. Normally at this point it would crash the DAW, but this time, it did not! Hallelujah!!

Next, I registered HN by logging into my account at Line 6 as the prompt asked me to.

Next, I saw the HN window behaving without crashing anything.

I tested opening and closing various porjects, all which had HN running on at least one track.  No crashes with either opening existing instances or putting new instances on new tracks!

So it looks like my problem is solved. Now the laptop has my go to guitar plugin with my go to DAW.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Today Helix Native started crashing all my DAWs again.

Opening any project that has Helix Native running, will crash the DAW. Also, adding Helix Native to a track will instantly crash the DAW. I've tried this with both Reaper and Cakewalk by Bandlab, and they both crash instantly.

I tried what had worked before to solve this problem, which is in this thread; deleting the Line 6 folder from where it exists in my user Roaming folder, uninstalling Helix Native, reinstalling etc. with no good results; the instant crashing still happenings.

The crash dump file generated when the crash occurred is here.

I'm not sure if installing a bunch of IK multimedia plugins yesterday had anything to do with this Helix Native crash problem. It's a possibility. Anyone have ideas about that?

Thanks,

Binney

_11282021_084415.zip

9 minutes ago, Bingit said:

The crash dump file generated when the crash occurred is here.

Hi,

As you seem to have been suffering ongoing issues since back July, you really need to make Customer Support aware of this - if they don’t know there is a problem, it will not get fixed. You should supply all the information about your situation to them.

Line 6 staff do not monitor these forums- it is a user group only!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hello,

Registering insterest since I have the same problem - and I have opened a ticket with Customer Support but not heard anything back yet.

I recently completed a successful evaluation/trial of Helix Native with Cubase 10.5 - everything worked fine.  So I decided to take advantage of the Black Friday discount and buy a full licence.

However, having done that, going through the steps to authorise the product (as detailed in the Line 6 email) Cubase 10.5 crashes when I try to add Helix Native as a plug-in.  I have not re-installed the Helix Native plug-in (nor changed Cubase 10.5) so the software should be identical to that which I used successfully during the evaluation.  As far as I can see, there have been no Windows 10 driver changes since I ran the evaluation successfully.

It's very confusing - and frustrating!

I will update with any information / suggestions I get from Line 6 Support.

Thanks,

Dave.

Hello phil_m

The problem was, Cubase crashed before the Helix Native interface was displayed...!!!

However, after getting a response from Line 6 Customer Support and following the steps they detailed, I am pleased to report that everything is working again.  The steps I followed were as follows:

Uninstall the Native Helix software ( Program Files (x86)\ Line6\ Helix Native\ Uninstall.exe )

Go to %appdata%\Roaming and delete everything in Line6\Helix Native

Temporarily disable antivirus and firewall (Norton 360)

Re-install Helix Native

Open a new project in Cubase, add an audio track and add Helix Native as an insert on that track

When the Helix Native interface appears, log into my Line 6 account

Everything now seems to be working ok for me.

Thanks,

Dave.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing the information in this thread. I really don't know they haven't created a support article specifically for this issue and possible fix (deleting the Line 6 folder in Roaming) as it took a bit of searching to find this thread.

Anyway, it worked for me so far. I really like the Helix Native plugin as it's a very inspirational creative tool that I'd recommend trying on every track, not just guitar or bass, so you can imagine how disappointed I was when it stopped working.

• 11 months later...

Any news on this? I've just run into it myself. At first it wasn't loading because apparently I had no authorizations left (just got a new computer, so had to deauthorize old one). As soon as authorization succeeded it crashed and has crashed ever since.

On 2/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, jr213 said:

Any news on this? I've just run into it myself. At first it wasn't loading because apparently I had no authorizations left (just got a new computer, so had to deauthorize old one). As soon as authorization succeeded it crashed and has crashed ever since.

Hi,

I realise that this is your first post, but when seeking assistance from other users it’s a real big help to know details of your Computer, Operating System and DAW. It helps to narrow down the possibilities. A simple “me too” post is a little vague.

There are many, many threads on here discussing various crash events on many different DAWs and OS. Have you tried searching for specifics. Also, some people post Native problems in the main Helix forum rather than here, and IIRC, there was a spate of posts referring to Reaper and Cakewalk having issues (possibly driver related). 

If you trawl through the posts in here you should find the details for complete removal and re-installation of HX Native, which have been supplied by Customer Support to others who had problems using Native.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

You have changed to a different computer? It might also be related to this:-

Edited by datacommando
Added link

On 2/5/2023 at 1:51 PM, jr213 said:

Jump back a few responses to my July 30, 2021 response. This sure sounds like the SD card issue and you said you got a new computer. There is another reply (not sure if it's from this thread) where a user removed the SD card and still had the issue only to find out that he had to remove the usb reader completely before it would go away. (He may have just disabled the driver in Device Manager). If your new computer is a Mac then just ignore this.

• Upvote 1