Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax not working from 1/4" output

Hello All, I picked up a JTV69 today and love it. I've been using it with a pod hd500x and it really works works well together. There is a really odd issue I am having with it. The variax hardware works well out of the VDI output as do the magnetic pickups, but out of the 1/4" output the variax hardware is extremely faint. I can here it but its barely there. The magnetic pickups work fine out of the 1/4" output. I updated firmware incase there was some sort of corruption but it didn't solve the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to solve it?

2 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Using 1/4" output,...

1) Use a TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) 1/4" plug. Tip= signal, ring= battery +V voltage, sleeve= ground return.

2) Make certain there's a fully charged battery in the battery compartment.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to tell me? Are you saying I need to use a TRS cable for the 1/4" output? What is the purpose of using a TRS over a standard mono 1/4" cable on a JTV69? 

There are three ways to provide power to a Variax guitar’s modeling electronics:

1) A VDI cable connected to a compatible Line 6 device. You mention that this method is working for you.

2) A standard TS mono guitar cable in the 1/4” output along with a charged battery in the Variax guitar.

3) An external Variax power supply. In this case you need to use a TRS cable in the 1/4” output. The ‘R (ring)’ contact supplies the power to the guitar.

Ok that makes a bit more sense. I did have some external psu when I had first gen variax, but sold the supply with the guitars. Ill see ifi can borough one to test the guitar, but the goal is to be able to use it wireless for some stuff and a psu would defeat that purpose. For most of my use I'll be using the pod hd500x.