Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Invective or Amps with Midi In for Foot switching...

travislaack

Hello,

I have a Peavey Invective 120 that takes midi CC commands from the footswitch to change channel, turn on boost, etc.  I have hooked the Helix up via midi and been able to use it to replace the footswitch (while also having it in the loops via 4CM for all that goodness) and it works to do what is expected.  However, I have to remove the footswitch to do this.  Ideally, I would like to have the FS connected for quick tweaks to a scene I have on he Helix (ie, use the FS to turn on boost on a scene that usually doesn't have it).  The Invective has a midi out and says this in the manual:

This amp is designed to be extremely functional with the included 10-button footswitch. The 8-pin footswitch
jack also works as a standard 5-pin MIDI input - to go along with the standard 5-pin MIDI output. There are
times when the amp will be run with other types of MIDI foot controllers, a PC in the studio, or by an automated
rack rig - or linked to another Invective via MIDI. This is the information you need to mate this amp with other
MIDI devices.
NOTE: The MIDI Out will send data to another Invective (for function sync), to a PC (for 2-way communica-
tion during remote control or preset dump), or to an effects unit in the effects loop. This jack does not act like an
Out/Thru. Data received at the MIDI In doesn't result in data on the MIDI Out unless it was a valid message for
this amp.

Is there a way for me to connect the footswitch and the helix to send CC commands via both?  Is there an adapter I need or some way to connect it I am missing?

Thank you!

I think you might need to midi merger to do that. You gotta combine the Helix midi out with the midi out of the other foot controller. I think it depends in whether you can run the amp controller on a 5 min cable and it still controls...I suspect the extra 3 wires are power. Regardless, it seems doable...you might have to make DIN plug adapters so you can get those 3 pins routed correctly...I did something similar too this with my old ADA-MP1 many years ago to have 2 foot controllers. Luckily, the ADA foot controller had the option to use a 5 pin cable and power the controller separately...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDImerge2--midi-solutions-multivoltage-merger-2-in-1-out-midi-merge-box?mrkgadid=3325657797&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording=&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938542089&lid=92700046938542089&ds_s_kwgid=58700005285192303&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=605139515470&product_id=MIDImerge2&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9010799&creative=324206626774&targetid=aud-466607093004%3Apla-605139515470&campaignid=1465808290&awsearchcpc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwo4mIBhBsEiwAKgzXOCtofdhWRGx07SS_gkqEbyA1szeRmWw6UM9jeAPDHFUKV8LuVyOSKxoC2x4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds