Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT vs DT880 Pro - a bit of an accident

vstrattomusic

Hello everyone, long time no see!

Today I got some brand new DT880 Pro, the 250 Ohm version. Since I saw that my Scarlet 2i4 can't fully power them, I decided to use my Helix LT as an interface for the time being, since the manual says that it has plenty of juice to power high impedance headphones. The thing is my Helix has the volume knob on 10 all the time since the factory patches are so quiet, so without realizing I start up a song on my computer and I get hit with the full power of the headphones, almost like getting punched. It was like 1 second before I turned it down. Fortunately it was a quiet intro, but still extremely loud. So the question is - how much juice does the headphones output give? Did I possibly damage my headphones? They didn't distort or crackle. But it was way beyond normal or listeneable. Since I don't know the technicals about headphones I don't know if they could start sounding different after this? They sound the same to me.. just worried that I might've ruined my brand new headphones? (Or damaged my ears..) I can't be the only one that has had this happen to them :O

The headphones are fine. It’s probably possible to damage them if you play a super loud signal to them for a long time - like loud enough that the headphones are pushed to the point of clipping - but from what you describe, I’m confident they’re OK. The sort of thing you described probably happens all the time.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 3:11 PM, phil_m said:

The headphones are fine. It’s probably possible to damage them if you play a super loud signal to them for a long time - like loud enough that the headphones are pushed to the point of clipping - but from what you describe, I’m confident they’re OK. The sort of thing you described probably happens all the time.

I hope they last a long time! It does seem like a very easy mistake to make, especially on the Helix LT which doesn't have it's own headphone volume knob. I've read the manual again and have seen that the impedance is 12 ohms on the Helix LT headphone output. The 1st gen USB powered Scarlett 2i4 has <12 ohms and basically wasn't recommended to power 250 ohm headphones. But the Helix LT has 12 ohms and apparently can drive them just fine..So basically it means that it's not enough power to fry them right? I hope..

Anyways it was still very loud and after a few days my ears seem to be fine...I wish I had a decibel meter to see how loud was the sound going into my head!