Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Receive Midi for Footswitch Lights

mrtunes

Really loving the HX Stomp so far.

I'm looking to use the footswitches to control switches inside Ableton, and would like to setup bilateral communication. Does anyone know if the HX Stomp can receive midi so that the footswitches will light up if say a track mute is engaged/disengaged in the program?

On the Ableton side of things I would likely be setting this up using control surfaces or max for live but at the moment it looks like I can't just send midi notes to the HX Stomp and expect anything to happen. Control Centre doesn't seem to have midi input, which makes sense since this is a fairly niche use case. 

1 hour ago, mrtunes said:

Really loving the HX Stomp so far.

I'm looking to use the footswitches to control switches inside Ableton, and would like to setup bilateral communication. Does anyone know if the HX Stomp can receive midi so that the footswitches will light up if say a track mute is engaged/disengaged in the program?

On the Ableton side of things I would likely be setting this up using control surfaces or max for live but at the moment it looks like I can't just send midi notes to the HX Stomp and expect anything to happen. Control Centre doesn't seem to have midi input, which makes sense since this is a fairly niche use case. 

It's interesting to me. Have you closed the midi loop to the HX midi in and tried a cc toggle like a shuttle control or something to see if the toggle tracks state...Seems to me that would be pretty simple to do because it could be assumed in the HX if the same toggle came in, then that would just be a button state change with no msg...So maybe an option on the CC toggle like a "track state" or something...Seems like a nice Ideascale suggestion if it doesn't work already.

I just started started setting up my stomp xl with some source audio pedals (less than a week)...I am using a couple of toggles and the thought crossed my mind to close the loop to see if it would track state when I toggled from the same action from the source audio stuff. but that is only a small annoyance while editing. I think I am going to tinker with this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 1:13 PM, rd2rk said:

FWIW - MIDI from HXS recorded in LIVE plays back as expected so, yes, HXS receives MIDI from LIVE just fine.

Can you help me better understand this? What can I do to replicate your experiment? 

Wish you'd gotten back sooner. I don't normally use LIVE, and I've forgotten how I got the Preset Changes to record.

Attached is a LIVE configuration screenshot and a demo preset. This will at least allow you to record CCs to toggle FX and Snapshots.

Stomp 1 selects Snapshot 2; Stomp 2 Selects Snapshot 1; Stomp 3 toggles the Delay.

You want to change presets you'll have to read the LIVE manual, or ask on their forum.

mrtunes.thumb.png.330904ac839f284816732207bf9607ec.png

Test LIVE UI.hlx