Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

9 volt out mod

borgis

On 7/30/2021 at 7:20 PM, borgis said:

Anyone done this?

If you don't own a Variax you can probably tap the power from the VDI port to power a couple small pedals. I don't believe it's a full 9v though, I think it's more like 7 or 8v. That wouldn't be a MOD to the Helix itself... it's just a custom cable. 

Keep in mind, I'm sure Line 6 would void any warranty if ports are used for unintended purposes such as this. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, codamedia said:

If you don't own a Variax you can probably tap the power from the VDI port to power a couple small pedals. I don't believe it's a full 9v though, I think it's more like 7 or 8v. That wouldn't be a MOD to the Helix itself... it's just a custom cable. 

Keep in mind, I'm sure Line 6 would void any warranty if ports are used for unintended purposes such as this. 

that`s worth a shot, any idea of the current?

42 minutes ago, codamedia said:

just googled a variax power supply, looks like 2 amp at 9 v. that sir is way more than enough. you win the internet forum hero of the day trophy

Just now, borgis said:

just googled a variax power supply, looks like 2 amp at 9 v. that sir is way more than enough. 

That's the power adapter for the little independent power supplies, it's not necessarily what the VDI puts out.

I'd suggest you find the pinouts for the RJ45 "power" section, and get an accurate measurement of voltage before trying it. 

As for amperage... I think a Variax "requires" less than 1A, so I don't really know what the VDI port would "safely" allow. 

5 minutes ago, borgis said:

you win the internet forum hero of the day trophy

Please heed my warning about "void warranties"... I'm just pointing you toward something to "research further"... not providing an actual "tested" solution. 

14 minutes ago, codamedia said:

That's the power adapter for the little independent power supplies, it's not necessarily what the VDI puts out.

I'd suggest you find the pinouts for the RJ45 "power" section, and get an accurate measurement of voltage before trying it. 

As for amperage... I think a Variax "requires" less than 1A, so I don't really know what the VDI port would "safely" allow. 

Please heed my warning about "void warranties"... I'm just pointing you toward something to "research further"... not providing an actual "tested" solution. 

warranty shmaranties,

nah you`re right, i`ll bring a fluke home from work and check it out,

it is an intriguing idea to explore,

i really only need 500 ma of clean DC for my freeze.

and no the HXfreeze effect isnt half the effect the eHXfreeze is,

i suspect the EHX uses some kind of look ahead algorithm so its already stored a sample before you stomp the switch.

which

the helix fails to do

• Like 1

I see no reason to hack to hack together some solution that's easily and safely solved with a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2 mounted on the underside of a pedalboard which provides power for the Helix as well as any other outboard effects or wireless receiver with just a single power cable since the Pedal Power 2 has a IEC power plug that the Helix can use along with the power ports for any other effects.

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

I see no reason to hack to hack together some solution that's easily and safely solved with a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2 mounted on the underside of a pedalboard which provides power for the Helix as well as any other outboard effects or wireless receiver with just a single power cable since the Pedal Power 2 has a IEC power plug that the Helix can use along with the power ports for any other effects.

You mean spend 200 dollars when you only need one mains cable and 1 9v out? I'm close to doing it anyway for the convenience, but damn what a waste of money!

15 hours ago, pipelineaudio1 said:

Craig how did you do that? I have only my Helix and a Relay G30 on my pedalboard, I didn't want to buy a whole brick just to power these two, but I've LOVE to be rid of that damn wall wart on the relay. What did you do for this?

It's not complicated, it's just a fused IEC inlet wired to an outlet and an encapsulated power supply for the 9V,

Something like this https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/embedded-switch-mode-power-supplies-smps/1812201

I've searched but I can't find any pictures of the insides.

Craig

• 3 months later...

On 8/5/2021 at 4:32 AM, CraigGT said:

It's not complicated, it's just a fused IEC inlet wired to an outlet and an encapsulated power supply for the 9V,

Something like this https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/embedded-switch-mode-power-supplies-smps/1812201

I've searched but I can't find any pictures of the insides.

Craig

Hey. I'm so intrigued by this and im just wondering if you could follow up on some more details?

1. Did you build out the circuit like the diagram from the manufacturer? Or did just the use the barebones converter, inline with the IEC's, then connected to 1 or more barrel jacks?

2. Did you use any line filtering all? Are you getting line noise?

3. Did you house the converter in a plastic enclosure to mount the IEC connectors?

TIA

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 1.01.11 PM.jpg

On 11/11/2021 at 6:05 PM, brokenbones said:

Hey. I'm so intrigued by this and im just wondering if you could follow up on some more details?

1. Did you build out the circuit like the diagram from the manufacturer? Or did just the use the barebones converter, inline with the IEC's, then connected to 1 or more barrel jacks?

2. Did you use any line filtering all? Are you getting line noise?

3. Did you house the converter in a plastic enclosure to mount the IEC connectors?

1, No, I just used the module as is, the fuse is built into the IEC socket. I bought some pedal daisy chain cables and cut them up to make flying leads for the outputs.

2, No and no

3, Yes just a plastic box, the power converters are pretty small.