Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adding Additional Sources

tgastel

Hey gang!

I'm seriously considering the AMPLIFI.  I've spent a good part of the day Googling, Youtubing and reading this forum.  I'm very close to pulling the trigger, but a couple questions I haven't found the answers to.

So, I'm jamming along to a song.  iPad is supplying music via BT and guitar is plugged into the amp.  Now, I want to add vocals too.  Can I come out of a mixer and into the AUX IN?  Basically, will it do three sources at the same time?

Or somehow source the mic into the iPad (USB to camera kit, mic in the 1/8" jack)??

That being asked, and if it's possible, can you control the levels of each the (three) sources?  Basically, get everything to sound right from a volume perspective.  I'm doing that know with a mixer -- Ch. 1 is a mic (vocals), Ch. 2 XLR out of modeling pedal board, and Ch. 3 is an iPod.  

Lastly, can you control the over-all volume of the amp (using as intended, forget I asked about the third source, vocals) from the app (remotely)?  Since this is stereo, I'm seeing this parked at the front of the living room in the center and me playing towards the back third.  I'm hoping all tweaks, including volume and blend of guitar vs. song can be adjusted from the app and not have to reach for the larger knob on top of the amp...

FWIW, my current setup is a Belkin Tune Studio mixer with a built-in iPod doc, a Digitech RP500 (sorry!) and a SM58 mic.  Mixer out going to a very big, very old Kenwood amp and two very big, very old American Acoustics.  Oh, I forgot the fourth source, PC connected via USB to both the mixer and RP.  Basically, modeling with the FRFR approach.  It's killer, works great and sounds fantastic.  But messy and I want my living room back :-)

The AMPLIFI sure looks like an awesome clean solution to what I am already doing.  It just takes what I've got and glues it together in a nice package.  And the PC can go away too with the awesome song matching cloud library.

I hope that all made some sense.  Thanks in advance, please ask more questions.

- Tony

I am looking at similar approach (mixer into aux in concept) to your set up but I do understand from some user stating that there is a degrading in sound quality if connected thur Aux in...  Music play back for instance via BT and Aux in connection does not produce the same quality?? need more users to verify this

Hi Tony.  I powered up the AMPLIFI 150, used a Strat, a 2 channel Mackie Mixer, and a phantom mic, to get your answers (which are in BOLDFACE below each of your questions).  AE

So, I'm jamming along to a song.  iPad is supplying music via BT and guitar is plugged into the amp.  Now, I want to add vocals too.  Can I come out of a mixer and into the AUX IN?  Basically, will it do three sources at the same time?

YES -- I connected my guitar into the amp, the mixer with a mic into the 'AUX IN', and used the BT from my iPhone for my music source -- all three worked at the same time.  I also tried hardwiring the iPhone via a cable into the mixer and it worked fine as well. Given the BT's tendency for intermittent breaks during use, you may want to use a cable for live performances.

That being asked, and if it's possible, can you control the levels of each the (three) sources?  Basically, get everything to sound right from a volume perspective.  I'm doing that know with a mixer -- Ch. 1 is a mic (vocals), Ch. 2 XLR out of modeling pedal board, and Ch. 3 is an iPod.  

Individual sound levels are basically controlled from the unit providing the sound.  For this reason it might be best if you continued to used your mixer to get the best volume blend.

Lastly, can you control the over-all volume of the amp (using as intended, forget I asked about the third source, vocals) from the app (remotely)?  I'm hoping all tweaks, including volume and blend of guitar vs. song can be adjusted from the app and not have to reach for the larger knob on top of the amp...

YES -- On the main page of the Amplifi App, under "Tools" is a section called "Level". It can be used to control the over-all volume. (If you have a iPhone 4 or 4S, you may need to scroll up the page to see the "Level" section)

I am looking at similar approach (mixer into aux in concept) to your set up but I do understand from some user stating that there is a degrading in sound quality if connected thur Aux in...  Music play back for instance via BT and Aux in connection does not produce the same quality?? need more users to verify this

I remember reading that too, and I think any answer to this question is relative to the equipment used, type of music played, and one's personal sound quality expectations. When I conducted the above tests for Tony, I didn't hear a noticeable difference between BT and Aux IN.  If anything (and this is really stretching it), I personally think the Aux IN sounded a touch better -- especially when used with a mixer board which allows for EQ adjustments.  Also, as nice as the AMPLIFI is, it's not going to provide a sound comparable to a top-of-the-line PA system or sound system.  The AMPLIFI sound good -- even great at times -- but at 500 bucks it's not going to sound "awesome" compared to a multi-thousands of dollars PA or home system.  AE

Thank you.  That's so cool of you to do that little exercise and find answers.  I'm sure you had fun in the process!

Knowing that now and and more reading last night, I read you can turn off all the effects from the app and still use this as you would a regular amp, i.e. keep you existing pedal board, effects, etc.  There is one of these in my future for sure.

- Tony