Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Identical Blocks Sounding Different on 1DSP vs 2DSP...Why?

WytchCrypt13

Hi all,

I was just working on transforming my patches from a 2 DSP/no spillover/8 snapshot configuration to a 1 DSP/spillover/no snapshot/command center defined 10 preset configuration and am hearing something very strange.  To simplify, I went to a simple 2 DSP vs 1 DSP preset configuration of the preset to compare apples to apples.  I'm wondering if anyone can explain what's going on with these 2 patches and why the delay behaves so drastically different between them?

The patch that's acting strange is an 808 screamer -> Cali Rectifier based lead guitar sound passing through a stereo "Simple Delay".

Test6 is the screen I use in my 2 DSP 8 snapshot configuration.  For purposes of this demonstration, I've deleted all unnecessary blocks except the ones used by this snapshot.

Test7 is the screen for a different version of the exact same preset with the exact same blocks with the exact same settings in the exact same order but configured to work on a single DSP. 

They sound drastically different.  The easiest way to describe the difference is in the 2 DSP version the delay still retains the character of the original notes while in the 1 DSP version the delay completely washes out and takes over the sound with virtually no trace of the individual original notes.

It doesn't make sense to me why they should sound so different since both use the same blocks with the same settings in the same order.  Entirely possible I'm not understanding something basic in the differences of processing 2 DSP patches vs 1 DSP patches so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

test6.JPG

test7.jpg

If the delay is in the chain like that inline(7), that will be more delay than dry.(6)..probably need to set mix to 30% because you have a dry line with the delay broken out and merged...I am guessing you only get two chains in the 1 dsp mode, so I suspect a like setting would be delay mix at 30%...The patches are not identical because the chaining is completely different with the delay broken out like that...seems to me only the mix would be affected by this chaining difference.

• Upvote 2

Has it got anything to do with the delay being on a parrellel path for Test 7 - ie is that allowing a substantial amount of not delayed signal to pass and me mixed with delayed at the mixer block?

60% seems pretty high to me, and could leave little trace of the original sound as you've desribed. Try winding the mix back on Test 6 to something closer in sound (The feedback also looks high to me but it may be exactly what you want).

• Upvote 2

You have the delay on a parallel path in the first preset, and in the second one you don't. With it on the parallel path, you're doubling the amount of dry signal, so the repeats won't seem as loud.

• Upvote 2

Got it...I see it now!

In Test6 the "Y" split is sending half of the signal straight to the reverb and volume pedal bypassing the delay so only half of the signal goes to the delay.  In Test7 the entire signal is passing through the delay which explains why the effect overpowers the entire signal not just half of it.

Just spent some time testing to try and match the 1 DSP version to the 2 DSP.  Originally dropped the delay mix & level parameters by 1/2 since the input is no longer split, but that was too much.  Dropped both mix & level by 1/4 and that did the trick (mix dropped from 60% to 45% and level went from 5.8 to 4.4 - feedback remained at 60%).  Now both 2 DSP & 1 DSP versions sound identical!

Thanks everyone for the help :-)