Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Blistering feedback - please Dr Distorto...

modman666

If there's one thing I miss from going totally digital it's standing facing a stack and letting the feedback howl at the end of a song (or in the beginning... or if Fripp is right, in the middle - of "Heroes") . 

Is there any way to do this with Helix? 

I have (somewhere in an attic) a Line 6 tonecore Dr Distorto which had a feedback generator - not my kind of distortion but feedback heaven. 

So it is possible to generate artificial feedback - do any of the distro units do this?

And if not surely it would be an easy addition to the next update ?

2 hours ago, modman666 said:

And if not surely it would be an easy addition to the next update ?

After hanging around here for quite some time and owning numerous L6 products over the years, I can assure you that there are but two certainties with regard to firmware updates:

1) It "surely" isn't arriving by any particular date.

2) What will or won't be in it is anybody's guess... but as a general  rule, the more esoteric the request, the less likely you are to get it. I could be wrong of course, but I seriously doubt this is on the top of their to-do list.

Enjoy the mystery... that's all we get.

I hear this a lot. 
I'm wondering if people don’t understand what causes feedback?

if you are playing at a live band level, with an overdriven sound and you don’t get feedback, you are having a different experience to me!

At studio level, well my studio level, I need to be thinking about proximity to my monitors, but even then, I can generally coax some feedback when I need it. 
Not like standing in front of a stack, but then I’ve not used a stack in a long time. 
Try a semi acoustic. I found that to be thrill seeking!

I think most folks understand how feedback works in a normal situation. But in non-normal ones - like playing or recording through headphones at night - might still want a full-on feedback effect, or even that edge-of-feedback sustain and edginess. That's why I got a freqout. It's ok. It's not the same feel, but it'll do when you can't crank up. I'd love to see a version of it on the Helix in a future update.

Here's what works for me, and tested on a stage multiple times.  

Basically I dialed in an additional distortion block.  Whenever my guitar doesn't feed back by itself, I engage a certain snapshot, and it starts feeding back musically.  I played on a pretty big outdoor stage and had no issues whatsoever.  

I use that special feedback snapshot sparingly.  Like at the end of the phrase, or right before coming in to convey this "amp about to explode" sound.  

• Like 2