Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix Driver for Mac Problem

DaveCrossen

Hello All,

I'm new to Helix and I've spent a little time playing with the Helix (with firmware 3.11) as a USB audio interface attached to my Mac M1 mini (running macOS Big Sur 11.4).

All is well when I stick to a sample rate of 48000kHz but I would like to able to change the sample rate, so I tried to install the Line 6 Helix Driver (1.1.0.) for Mac, which says it should allow sample rates of 44.1kHz, and 96kHz. However, although the driver seems to install ok (the .kext file appears in the /LIbrary/Extensions folder), the Helix Audio device does not allow me to change the sample rate.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and has found a way around it? Maybe I'm best to just record from the analog outs to my Mac via my existing interface.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Dude, everyone is having problems with M1 on everything. You may have adopted M1 too early for music production...All the pros I know are waiting until protools runs native on M1 before updating their hardware. It's a mess. I don't know where Line 6 is on this.

1 hour ago, spaceatl said:

Dude, everyone is having problems with M1 on everything. You may have adopted M1 too early for music production...All the pros I know are waiting until protools runs native on M1 before updating their hardware. It's a mess. I don't know where Line 6 is on this.

Hi spaceatl,

Could be it's too early. I'm not a pro, so it's not quite as dangerous for me. I have an older system I've been using for some years now - a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 with 32GB running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 which works great but I really want to use the more recent versions of Logic Pro X, but I can always return to the old Mac Pro if necessary.

So much stuff seems to work fine on the M1. HX Edit seems to work fine and the standard Helix Audio device works fine at 48kHz. I haven't tried Workbench for the Variax yet though.

My interface, its software and all of my plugins seems to be working fine on the M1.

I do think that Line 6 could be a bit more up-front about incompatibilities with M1/Big Sur.

Cheers!

25 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

It seems that you've been heard, and here you go:

Hi lou-kash,

That's quite impressive to see this response from Line6Tony only a few hours after I posted. 

I think that it is good to see this honestly presented to the community.

It would certainly have saved me some time yesterday to see that the Helix Mac hardware drivers don't work on the M1 chip.

I ended up doing the install and uninstall 3 times to check that I hadn't screwed up the install.

I would have expected to see this on the release notes for the drivers - but no mention was made of this. 

Also now I also know that Workbench works, I can safely install it without any worries.

Thanks lou-kash and thanks Line6Tony,

Dave

"The first rule of Mac hardware and/or OS upgrades, if you rely on them for music production is: DON'T, UNTIL THE DUST SETTLES. The second rule of Mac hardware and/or OS upgrades, if you rely on them for music production is: DON'T, UNTIL THE DUST SETTLES..."

-Tyler Durden

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

The first rule of Mac hardware and/or OS upgrades, if you rely on them for music production is: DON'T, UNTIL THE DUST SETTLES.

In late 2019, I was finally ready to upgrade my MacBooks from Mountain Lion to El Capitan.
And even though I also have working partitions up to Catalina, the Capt'n is still my reliable OS of choice.

Heck, I can even still use my perfectly working M-Audio FW410 that I bought back in 2003. That's thanks to user-hacked inofficial drivers, but they just work.

1 minute ago, lou-kash said:

El Capitan

Speaking of which – and for the record since we're discussing the Helix Driver here:

Anyone on El Capitan, stay with v1.0.7! It's much more reliable than v1.1.0, even though the latter essentially works as well. But it has repeatedly frozen the complete MacOS (!) e.g. when disconnecting the Stomp while HX Edit was still running. Downgrading back to 1.0.7 has immediately fixed it.