Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Presets with no Sound (?)

gitapik

Hi. I'm new to the Stomp. And loving it. 

So far I've downloaded some really nice presets (big fan of srg2520) and made a couple of my own that I'm getting better at refining. One DI and one FX. 

Last night I noticed that some of the downloads (not srg2520) and factory presets weren't putting out any signal. Everything was still there, visually...just no sound. And if I continued to scroll the presets; eventually I'd hit presets with sound, again.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Hi gitapik, 

First, I recommend to run the 'Rebuild Presets' procedure: With HX Stomp turned off, press and hold the upper and lower knobs while powering on, wait for "Will rebuild presets.." and let go. The HX Stomp will rebuild all presets. 

Moving forward, always ensure your HX Stomp and HX Edit are both up to date, current FW is 3.11. If your HX Stomp is on old firmware there may be models in the downloaded presets that are not installed on your HX Stomp, and if your HX Edit is on different FW than your Stomp, you may experience odd behavior after transferring presets.  

HX Edit should prompt a message indicating an update is available, but you can always double check its version by selecting "About HX Edit" while the application is open. 

After you update your HX Edit you then should update your HX Stomp (if need be) via the Edit application. Ensure to save a back-up of your Stomp so you can have all your work saved. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, NBell. 

First thing I did last night was check the firmware. 3.11 for the the Stomp and Editor. Both the Stomp and Editor came as 3.11. All good there.

I ran the rebuild and still have the same problem. 28 of the factory presets for guitar (not counting the 4 cables) aren't producing any sound. Same with some bass and acoustic presets.

What's odd about it is that these presets were running without a problem previous to when I checked them out last night. I've had the unit for about 2 weeks, now, and this was the first time I noticed anything amiss.

I just now checked out a video about updating. I ended up downloading Line 6 Updater.pkg (thought I don't think I need it?), but my computer won't run it because it says "Apple can't check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information". 

There was also a section of the Update video talking about running an overwrite in order to fully integrate the newer amps etc. Said it doesn't do it automatically, as that would erase all my tones, IRs, etc. Again: I already had these presets working before...so don't know that that's the issue.  Wondering if I should do that or if I've mistakenly changed something in Global Settings (I'm just now getting the hang of not touching anything "nearby" while making changes).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gitapik said:

I ended up downloading Line 6 Updater.pkg (thought I don't think I need it?), but my computer won't run it because it says "Apple can't check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information". 

Hi,

What you have encountered is an over zealous “Gatekeeper” that is inbuilt to the Mac OS.

Read this, which will save me having to type out the same old thing one more time. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Oh, yeah - when weird and unexplained stuff starts to happen, do a factory reset and/or re-flash the firmware. Also when stuff gets total screwy - use the Line 6 Updater, and ensure that nothing else is running that might interfere with the installation.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

What you have encountered is an over zealous “Gatekeeper” that is inbuilt to the Mac OS.

Read this, which will save me having to type out the same old thing one more time. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Oh, yeah - when weird and unexplained stuff starts to happen, do a factory reset and/or re-flash the firmware. Also when stuff gets total screwy - use the Line 6 Updater, and ensure that nothing else is running that might interfere with the installation.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the situation but didn’t want to act before knowing for sure. I used to be the tech guy for our six sites (when I was teaching) and I’ve seen similar messages. 

Don’t like to be a nudge but does that mean I should run the “update”. Even though I’m already using the latest firmware? Looks like that’s what you’re saying. Factory reset might be in the future, too. 

Also curious about the overwrite procedure. Just can’t figure out why I’d have lost those presets after they’d been working fine. Part of me was thinking thet they were using data from the previous firmware and were now outdated. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gitapik said:

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the situation but didn’t want to act before knowing for sure. I used to be the tech guy for our six sites (when I was teaching) and I’ve seen similar messages. 

Don’t like to be a nudge but does that mean I should run the “update”. Even though I’m already using the latest firmware? Looks like that’s what you’re saying. Factory reset might be in the future, too. 

Also curious about the overwrite procedure. Just can’t figure out why I’d have lost those presets after they’d been working fine. Part of me was thinking thet they were using data from the previous firmware and were now outdated. 

This is re-post of a firmware re-flash instructions from months ago, when this was a regular chore.

Also, I recommend that you become familiar with all the reset options for your device, and the best place to find the info is here:

https://helixhelp.com

Don’t Panic - It is very rare that a glitch in the firmware will actually turn your device into an paperweight.

Let’s just give this one more go around. I keep saying that I will stop doing this, but here we go again.

Once more from the top!

Firstly go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HX Stomp. Leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" menu item as it is, now select your Mac OSX from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click “GO”. On the next page you will find the first 3 items you will need. The Line 6 Updater v. 1.23, along with HX Edit 3.11 for your HX Stomp and then you will need the Firmware 3.11.0 Flash Memory.

Download all these items to your computer and note where they are. 

Then:

1. Remove all Line 6 software from your computer and then restart your computer.
  2. Make sure to turn off the power to your HX Stomp.
  3. Unplug the USB cable from the computer and the Stomp.
  4. Power up the Stomp while holding down “PAGE >”. This puts the hardware into “Safe Boot” mode. (NOTE: This option is not documented in the regular Reset Options for the Stomp although I have read that others have had this keypress work for them. Should doing this give you a completely blank screen, you should be able to re-install the firmware again.)
  5. Leave the HX Stomp powered up.
  6. Now you can install the latest HX Edit v. 3.11
  7. Reconnect the USB cable to the Stomp and your computer - Do not use a Hub. (Some USB ports on the front of a PC can act as a hub, so use one on the back).
  8. Ensure that HX Edit is closed and also shutdown any other background tasks, screen savers etc., also disconnect from any internet services. You don’t want anything to interfere with this installation routine.
  9. Now, find and launch the Line 6 Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HX Stomp and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update.
  10.  When it completes you can launch the new HX Edit v.3.11 software and you should be good to go.

No guarantee is given or implied - you do so at your own risk. If this fails, contact Line 6 Customer Support and raise a ticket.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Last night I noticed that some of the downloads (not srg2520) and factory presets weren't putting out any signal. Everything was still there, visually...just no sound. And if I continued to scroll the presets; eventually I'd hit presets with sound, again.

Regarding those factory presets which doesn't make any sound, aren't they named as "4CM:..." ? If they are, you need to hook the stomp up using 4 cable method. You can find details from HX Stomp manual.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, gitapik said:

Lol…do you have this in a folder to copy and paste?

Oh, yes - lots of variations for different hardware units, plus Windows and Mac OS, all in Notes on my iPad.

It became somewhat tedious having to continually re-type the reset, re-flash for all the firmware updates and USB issues. I still try to edit each for any particular instance.

Hope this fixes your HX Stomp, but in the unlikely event of this being a hardware problem, then you will need to contact Customer Support.

Good luck.

Edit:

More suggested reading for you - especially the section headed “Anything else I should know?”

Edited by datacommando
Added link
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, yalyari said:

Regarding those factory presets which doesn't make any sound, aren't they named as "4CM:..." ? If they are, you need to hook the stomp up using 4 cable method. You can find details from HX Stomp manual.

No…I didn’t try those ones out yet. These were FX, and DI. But thank you for trying to help. 

• Like 1

Update!

I decided to try a factory reset, first. Just resetting the presets didn't do the trick. Exact same 27 presets with no sound. So I tried a complete reset, including Global Settings and that solved the problem. I think I may have accidentally changed a Global Setting in my travels. It's so easy to accidentally brush against something or other while cruising around on the device.

Anyway: problem solved. Thanks for everyone's help. datacommando: I've copied and pasted your solution into my Stomp Notes file. Much thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Glad to hear that you fixed the issue.

Occasional glitches, and user error, are usually never fatal.

Good luck with your new toy!

Thanks. Perfect travel companion! 

• Upvote 1