Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Poly Capo - I know I shouldn't ask...

themetallikid

25 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

But I'm going to anyway.  My head screams this is a horrible idea.....but (gets ready to duck) anyone use this feature acoustically?  

I'd have to imagine this not going well trying to sing as your hearing two different tones more than likely ??

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and place this notion directly in the crapper where it belongs...

Pitch shifting just barely works playing a solid body, unless you're turned up loud enough to avoid hearing the guitar itself acoustically... with an actual acoustic guitar, you can forget it. You'll hear both the guitar and the shifted signal, as will everybody else in the room. 

• Upvote 1

Never used it accoustically myself - but so long as your monitoring is loud enough that you don't hear the accoustic direct it might work (eg IEMs, or very loud wedges). My closest experience is using detuned accoustic tones from a Variax, and it doesn't take a lot of volume to get over the unamplified electric plink.

1 hour ago, waymda said:

...and it doesn't take a lot of volume to get over the unamplified electric plink.

No, it doesn't... but go ahead and try it with a Martin. Without ear- splitting volume, it will fail. Spectacularly. Hell, I can still hear my Variax with headphones on unless I'm cracked up to a nearly uncomfortable level. 

Robbing liquor stores is a bad idea... there's really no need to confirm it with a test run. ;)

• Haha 1

I've used it quite successfully with my acoustic in a live setting with the following setup.  I have a sound hole cover on the acoustic, the Helix goes directly to the mixing board at the same signal level as would any electric guitar patch, I have my own dedicated floor monitor which is a QSC K10.2.  It's not at ear splitting volume, but it's at the same level as all my other patches and more than enough to overcome the minor amount of sound from the acoustic with a sound hole cover.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I've used it quite successfully with my acoustic in a live setting with the following setup.  I have a sound hole cover on the acoustic, the Helix goes directly to the mixing board at the same signal level as would any electric guitar patch, I have my own dedicated floor monitor which is a QSC K10.2.  It's not at ear splitting volume, but it's at the same level as all my other patches and more than enough to overcome the minor amount of sound from the acoustic with a sound hole cover.

Live with a full band,  PA blaring and drummer pounding away, OK... but sitting in a room, listening through monitors or headphones it'll be a $hit- show.

Yeah these are all the responses I'd thought I'd get.  Funny ones included....

This would be more for solo acoustic type shows that I do, which is where I figured the lack of PA volume and too much guitar volume would cause the issues.  I dont use IEM's so I'd really have to crank my monitor levels.  I do have a sound hole cover, which could help, however I dont feel it'd be enough. 

Point proved, thanks guys.  Just wasnt sure if anyone pulled it off successfully.

23 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

Yeah these are all the responses I'd thought I'd get.  Funny ones included....

This would be more for solo acoustic type shows that I do, which is where I figured the lack of PA volume and too much guitar volume would cause the issues.  I dont use IEM's so I'd really have to crank my monitor levels.  I do have a sound hole cover, which could help, however I dont feel it'd be enough.

Yeah, for that kind of relatively low volume coffee-house gig, it would be a dissonance nightmare... even if the guy at the back table couldn't hear your guitar acoustically over the PA, you sure as $hit will... it'd be basically impossible not to.

Sorry, I just reread the thread .... what I'm experiencing (Variax acoustic with alt tunings) is totally different than the OP's topic (Poly Tuning on Helix with acoustic guitar). That would sound nasty because you could clearly hear the acoustic guitar strings at stage volumes.