Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic Block

themetallikid

So in light of my other thread...I'm entertaining the idea of using my electric via acoustic preset.  I've played around with it somewhat, but seem to be missing something in the sound.  I know its not a 100% replacement, but I wanna see how close I can get. 

So.... what are your Acoustic Sim settings?  Do you use any other blocks to get your sound?  Acoustic IR's in addition?

I am not particularly impressed with it.  It does work slightly better with a good IR but it will still sound like an acoustic simulator rather than an actual acoustic, regardless of how you adjust it.  There's only so much it can do when you're starting with thin gauge nickel strings and a pickup.  I confess I never tried it with a semi-hollow like a 335 or something.  May possibly get different results from a guitar like that.

Jason Sadites has a good video that will help you understand the parameters and give you a head start in the right direction but you will still need a good IR to get you even a little bit close.  It will be a very little bit ... as in not really very close at all. 

I used an IR pack by 3Sigma.   I suggest a dreadnaught pack if you choose to go that route.

I've found that turning an electric guitar signal into an acoustic one is a major compromise at best so don't get disappointed that it doesn't get closer than it does. People seem to like the Sigma IR's but it's only OK to kind of good at best, in my opinion, for making an electric sound like an acoustic.

I have some acoustic IR's and I understand its not a 1:1 match to a real acoustic and such...I get all that.  I was merely just asking what settings people were using, or adding additional blocks, effect block orders to try out for myself and maybe find something that I didn't think to try

I love the acoustic sim on my Helix!  It's great for live situations for sure.  One thing that is very difficult with it, is that it is extremely sensitive to your guitar settings, pickup selection, volume and type of a guitar.  If I dial in my sounds for my Brian May guitar, then use a Strat, and the balance is completely wrong. 

If I just want to strum chords, I set it up with these settings.  I have a modded Strat, where I can get bridge + middle in series, creating a humbucker.  So let's just say I'm on a bridge humbucker:

Mode: Standard

Body: 5

Top: 6.9

Shimmer: 0

Level to taste. 

After that I add a reverb, I happen to like '63 Spring for it.

Finally, again depending on your guitar/pickups, there will be some honky notes that just jump out.  You need to tame them by using a 10-band EQ.  On my strat I have no honkers.  I boost 2kHz + 10 dB, for more clarity.  It sounds awesome. 

• Upvote 1