Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More Bass Specific Models

skybone

As a long time Line6 user, bass player, and recent POD Go purchaser, it's great to see that there are a lot more choices available for the bass players over some of the previous generations of Line6 products.

However, given that our guitar playing brethren have a large selection of amp, cab & pedal variations, how about a few more bass specific amps, cabs & pedals, such as a bass specific wah, or a few more bass specific Distortion / Overdrive / Fuzz pedals (with the "Blend" control). Something (but not limited to) like Yamaha & Line6 endorsee, Billy Sheehan's signature EBS drive pedal, which would give us a bit more colour, or one of the Tech21 (Boost Distortion / Boost Fuzz?). What about all the Aguilar or MarkBass range? What about the Ampeg Liquifier & Opto Comp?

Pretty sure there are other bass players out there crying out for a bit more choice & variation in the choices available.

In b4 posting on ideascale suggestion!

I think the issue is that a minority of PGO users are bass users, so if 95% play guitar, you'd kinda expect 95% of the energy to be put towards these users...  If it's 300h of work to bring a distortion pedal to fruition, are you going to introduce a feature that 95% of Go users want, or a pedal that maybe 3% (maybe not all bass players want that pedal) would want, the answer is fairly obvious where the energy should be spent...  I guess it could open more sales if bass players would get the unit if it had more bass features, but yeah, you bass guys need to be more vocal and post on ideascale if you want to get L6's attention.  :)

I suspect @grdGo33 is pretty spot on here re resource and what the vast majority of users want. Pod Go is fundamentally a guitar MFX - Line 6 included some Bass guitar amps and cabs for those guitarists that might also play some Bass guitar.  The memory in Pod Go is finite and speaking somewhat selfishly as a non-bass guitarist I personally wouldn't want to see Pod Go filled with any more Bass amps/cabs/fx that are pretty much useless to at least 95% of guitarists and could restrict the space for new guitar amp/cab/fx to be added. 

However, bass players are not exactly hard done by in Pod Go. Interestingly, Line 6 previously developed a bass guitar modelling pack that it sold separately for earlier generations of its MFX inc Pod HD.  I think these packs have pretty much been pulled across into Pod Go which has more than this pack now anyway for bass players, all included:

https://shop.line6.com/software/model-packs/

https://shop.line6.com/software/model-packs/hd-bass-pack.html

Our Bass Amps Model Pack gives you total flexibility to record incredible-sounding bass tracks with your POD HD. You get two of the most ubiquitous bass amplifiers of all time, plus two cab models to round out your sound.

NOTE: HD model packs are not compatible with POD Farm 2.5. However, standard model packs can be used with a computer that's been authorized with POD Farm 2.5, as well as with non-HD Line 6 devices.

Required Hardware:

POD HD500X
POD HD Pro X
POD HD 500
POD HD Pro
POD HD

Includes Amp Models Based on:

Ampeg® SVT® Normal Ch.
Ampeg® SVT® Bright Ch.
GK Gallien-Kruger® 800RB          
Ampeg® SVT® 8x10 CAB
Ampeg® SVT® 410HLF CAB

Yeah also you might want to check into IRs for bass cabs, I've downloaded a few which sound absolutely horrible with a guitar (LOL) but for bass, that could open a few new options.

The more time I spend with Go, the less and less I find it important to have dozens and dozens of amps...  It just takes so much time to familiarize yourself with an amp, then you even have to factor how boosts, distortions, mics, cabs, etc., fit the equation.....  I do understand the 'more is better', but am slowly drifting back to just a couple good/great amps is all you need.   Seems to be 14 bass models, hopefully they're good...

And last thing, you might want to get creative...  I was watching a vid where a compressor (tube) as a drive pedal.  I mean, there's just so many things you can do, the limit is your imagination, knowledge, creativity, etc, with all the options on the Go...  The Go is a tool in the end, so it's what you create with it, and how you use it, having just more and more tools...

Ex;

So yeah, at one point, wanting more is ok, but, are you even using 100% of what you could be using?  There's countless things you might not have thought of, so maybe getting creative, reading forums, checkout out vids, etc., might give you new options you didn't think of before, which could expand the Go's capabilities in ways you didn't think of before...

I know that for just guitar, you can do so much with just 1 amp.  Hell, that was the standard for decades; just using 1 amp. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, grdGo33 said:

Yeah also you might want to check into IRs for bass cabs, I've downloaded a few which sound absolutely horrible with a guitar (LOL) but for bass, that could open a few new options.

The more time I spend with Go, the less and less I find it important to have dozens and dozens of amps...  It just takes so much time to familiarize yourself with an amp, then you even have to factor how boosts, distortions, mics, cabs, etc., fit the equation.....  I do understand the 'more is better', but am slowly drifting back to just a couple good/great amps is all you need.   Seems to be 14 bass models, hopefully they're good...

And last thing, you might want to get creative...  I was watching a vid where a compressor (tube) as a drive pedal.  I mean, there's just so many things you can do, the limit is your imagination, knowledge, creativity, etc, with all the options on the Go...  The Go is a tool in the end, so it's what you create with it, and how you use it, having just more and more tools...

Ex;

So yeah, at one point, wanting more is ok, but, are you even using 100% of what you could be using?  There's countless things you might not have thought of, so maybe getting creative, reading forums, checkout out vids, etc., might give you new options you didn't think of before, which could expand the Go's capabilities in ways you didn't think of before...

I know that for just guitar, you can do so much with just 1 amp.  Hell, that was the standard for decades; just using 1 amp. 

Big plus 1!  I think learning to use what you have is the key. In addition to compressors, an EQ can be used as a gain boost too. And you can change your tone completely by using different mic models in the same patch and setting different amp gain levels in snap shots or foot switches. 

There also comes the point where we are already far beyond where some amps and fx especially distortions sound so similar anyway, you really don't need anymore!  I really don't need even more amp models....I do need additional functionality and I hope the next firmware upgrade gives greater flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...