Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is standard tuning (EADGBE) required?

from https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/line-6-variax-standard

"The models and tunings can be used in any permutation. The Standard setting leaves your guitar tuning alone — in other words, it follows the way you’ve physically tuned the strings — but the pre‑loaded Alt tunings assume you’re using standard guitar tuning. The Model position uses whatever tuning is stored in the selected preset. And if you don’t use standard tuning or want something that’s not on offer, you can construct your own set of Alt tunings, again using the Workbench software."

I take that as a yes then. Anything else wouldn't make much sense either.

I'd like to be able to blend pickup output from the 1/4" jack (to an amp) and modelled output from the VDI jack (to another amp or a PA) while I'm tuned to open D or G or whatever. So obviously both signals need to be in the same physical pitch.

If you physically tune the Variax to an open tuning, then the models will play at that same tuning if you leave the tuning knob in standard. That is the tuning for each string is 0 change. Then you can blend the magnetic and modeled pickup tones.

5 hours ago, teletorben said:

from https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/line-6-variax-standard

"The models and tunings can be used in any permutation. The Standard setting leaves your guitar tuning alone — in other words, it follows the way you’ve physically tuned the strings — but the pre‑loaded Alt tunings assume you’re using standard guitar tuning. The Model position uses whatever tuning is stored in the selected preset. And if you don’t use standard tuning or want something that’s not on offer, you can construct your own set of Alt tunings, again using the Workbench software."

I take that as a yes then. Anything else wouldn't make much sense either.

I'd like to be able to blend pickup output from the 1/4" jack (to an amp) and modelled output from the VDI jack (to another amp or a PA) while I'm tuned to open D or G or whatever. So obviously both signals need to be in the same physical pitch.

You can physically tune the guitar however you wish... the alt tuning algorithms will change the pitch relative to those it receives. In other words, if you physically tune the instrument 1/2 step down, and then select the 1/2 step alt tuning,  what'll come out of the speakers is the equivalent of physically tuning the guitar one whole step below standard tuning  (DGCFBbD). However, as the manual states, the algorithm is expecting the guitar be in standard tuning, so the farther away from that you start out,  the more you invite hickups, tracking issues, etc.

As to the use of both outputs, the powers that be have repeatedly warned against using both the VDI and 1/4" outputs simultaneously. Apparently it risks some sort of circuitry "overload". Why this is the case has never really been adequately explained, but nevertheless the official edict is "Don't".

DO NOT use both outputs. It changes the voltage somewhere and could brick your Variax. It doesn't always so just because it didn't, doesn't mean it won't. Also, it has been stated elsewhere that the JTV works best when in standard A=440Hz tuning. It's just the way the algorithms work.

"... works best when in standard A=440Hz tuning. " --- Yes. But you can physically tune down a whole step and a half before you start having

pitch tracking issues. A combination of string to piezo tension, and processing. Best bet, is to physically tune to standard tuning and use Workbench HD

to augment or custom Alt Tune.