Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp: Using the 4 cable method (?) but keeping the real amp

fasteddiesanchez

Hi All. Hope you can help with this. Hope its not a stupid question.

I want to run the hx stomp in 4cm effects to put effects before and after the amp, but I want to keep the real amp preamp (not use a modeler) in the chain.

For example

if I wanted to go to the PA:

Guitar -> hx stomp input -> hx stomp compressor -> hx stomp Phaser ->[hx stomp effects loop send - set to instrument level]  (to two distortion pedals in series)  -> input to the real amp  [hx stomp effects loop return set to line level]-> hxstomp chorus -> hx stomp delay -> hx stomp reverb -> L/R out to PA

Question 1. Would this sound good or would the amp just be kicking to much power into the stomp? Or maybe there would just be too much gain going to the PA?

Question 2. Is it possible to do this sort of setup so that the final sound comes out of the amp and not through the PA at all

I know I can run the Pedals into the front of the amp and then just use the HXStomp in the effects loop, but I want to be able to use the HX stomp compressor and Phaser before the pedals.

I also realize that I could run the Pedal in an effects loop and put the comp and phase in front but then I still have the puzzle of getting the chorus, delay and reverb after the amp preamp.

Is it even possible?

Thanks for the help.

What you've described will work fine. Just add a send block at the end of the chain and use that to the amp instead of the normal 4cm method of using the 1/4" out.

Guitar -> hx stomp input -> hx stomp compressor -> hx stomp Phaser ->[hx stomp Left effects loop send - set to instrument level]  (to two distortion pedals in series)  -> input to the real amp  [hx stomp effects loop return set to line level]-> hxstomp chorus -> hx stomp delay -> hx stomp reverb -> [HX Stomp Right Send - Line Level to Amp Return] ->L/R out to PA.

EDIT:

Guitar -> hx stomp input -> hx stomp compressor -> hx stomp Phaser ->[hx stomp Left effects loop send - set to instrument level]  (to two distortion pedals in series)  -> input to the real amp  [hx stomp effects loop return set to line level]-> hxstomp chorus -> hx stomp delay -> hx stomp reverb -> [HX Stomp Right Send - Line Level to Amp Return] -> HX Stomp IR/Cab ->L/R out to PA.

30 minutes ago, fasteddiesanchez said:

Hi All. Hope you can help with this. Hope its not a stupid question.

I want to run the hx stomp in 4cm effects to put effects before and after the amp, but I want to keep the real amp preamp (not use a modeler) in the chain.

For example

if I wanted to go to the PA:

Guitar -> hx stomp input -> hx stomp compressor -> hx stomp Phaser ->[hx stomp effects loop send - set to instrument level]  (to two distortion pedals in series)  -> input to the real amp  [hx stomp effects loop return set to line level]-> hxstomp chorus -> hx stomp delay -> hx stomp reverb -> L/R out to PA

Question 1. Would this sound good or would the amp just be kicking to much power into the stomp? Or maybe there would just be too much gain going to the PA?

Question 2. Is it possible to do this sort of setup so that the final sound comes out of the amp and not through the PA at all

I know I can run the Pedals into the front of the amp and then just use the HXStomp in the effects loop, but I want to be able to use the HX stomp compressor and Phaser before the pedals.

I also realize that I could run the Pedal in an effects loop and put the comp and phase in front but then I still have the puzzle of getting the chorus, delay and reverb after the amp preamp.

Is it even possible?

Thanks for the help.

You can't set the loop send and return in different ways. I'd suggest to set input, send/return and output level to instrument, because that won't boost the instrument signal. Meaning if you disengage comp, phaser and the two distortion the level the amp gets is unchanged vs directly plugging into the amp.

You could use the L Output signal of the Stomp to feed the return of the amp and the R Output to PA. That would require the last block to be an IR that only applied on the right channel - use path B and the mixer pan parameters hard left/right to achieve that. 

Thanks RD2RK and Schmalle. 

Let me see if I got this correct.

I will also attach an image.

Guitar > HX stomp input > hx stomp effect > hx send left > pedal > amp input > amp send > hx stomp left return > hx stomp effect > hx stomp left output > amp return > music

in a parallel sort of thing the hx stomp right output can just go to PA.

Shouldn't the hx stomp return be set to line level because its going to receive a line level signal from the amp return? 

IMG_0155.jpg

Also if I use the stomp left send and the hx stomp right return, I can set the left send to instrument and the left return to line.

Should I set the hx stomp left output to line?

I am not so familiar with effect loops on amps.

I know some of them are line and some are instrument level.

Do PA's want line level or instrument level?

IMG_0156.jpg

You need INTRUMENT level on the Left Send>OD>Amp Input.

The Amp Send>HXS Return can be either INSTRUMENT or LINE. Don't over think that. Don't waste a loop.

It's just signal level. You can use the FX Loop Send/Return Levels to compensate, if necessary, for not being able to set them differently.