Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tim Pierce sound - how?

trainguy

All,

Studio legend Tim Pierce has a sound on his Youtube channel that is incredibly ballsy, with a good bottom end and edge-of-breakup quality without much overdrive and very responsive The sound, to me, screams "Professional".  He does not use modelers, but rather has high-quality tube amps with cabs set to jet-engine volumes in another room.  He often uses stacked overdrive pedals as well

Can anyone suggest how to achieve this with Pod Go?

tg

17 hours ago, trainguy said:

All,

Studio legend Tim Pierce has a sound on his Youtube channel that is incredibly ballsy, with a good bottom end and edge-of-breakup quality without much overdrive and very responsive The sound, to me, screams "Professional".  He does not use modelers, but rather has high-quality tube amps with cabs set to jet-engine volumes in another room.  He often uses stacked overdrive pedals as well

Can anyone suggest how to achieve this with Pod Go?

tg

Can you post a link or two to the vids you mean? What guitar is he using, and what are you using?  And are you trying to design a patch for headphones, through a powered speaker, or an amp? If the latter, what amp are you using and are you using Pod Go through the fx return or in front of the amp?

Sure, the link is here:

BREAKING a BAD Guitar Habit | It WORKED - YouTube

specifically sounds at 8:22 and 10:10

He is using both strat type and a humbucker equipped guitar.

I am using a Strat.

You hear - not much distortion, but a very assertive professional sound that is responsive.  Might just be the guitarist...

For now - designing for Sennheiser HD-599 Headphones. 

I am having all kinds of trouble getting decent sound out of my 27 yr old Peavey C-30, but only because I am plugging in to the front. There is an issue with my effect return (hum) that prevents 4CM.  Obviously into the front of the amp I am turning off all amp and cab sims.

Overall using the Peavey with the Pod Go, so far removes 95% of the Pod Go's lustre.  I will be trying out a Headrush FRFR108 in the next couple of days...

tg

On 8/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, trainguy said:

Sure, the link is here:

BREAKING a BAD Guitar Habit | It WORKED - YouTube

specifically sounds at 8:22 and 10:10

He is using both strat type and a humbucker equipped guitar.

I am using a Strat.

You hear - not much distortion, but a very assertive professional sound that is responsive.  Might just be the guitarist...

For now - designing for Sennheiser HD-599 Headphones. 

I am having all kinds of trouble getting decent sound out of my 27 yr old Peavey C-30, but only because I am plugging in to the front. There is an issue with my effect return (hum) that prevents 4CM.  Obviously into the front of the amp I am turning off all amp and cab sims.

Overall using the Peavey with the Pod Go, so far removes 95% of the Pod Go's lustre.  I will be trying out a Headrush FRFR108 in the next couple of days...

tg

Hi, there really isn't anything particularly special about that tone which is a typical studio type fusion tone using a compressor to level the dynamics and 'soften' the distortion. He's also using the neck pickup on both guitars.  It's not a sound I'd typically use as I'm more a classic rock & blues player.  With regards to amp model and fx he's using (distortion, delay, reverb etc) why not post on the youtube link and ask him the components of his tone?  He seems to be a nice guy and I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a steer.  This afternoon I was playing a Telecaster with my Valvetronix AD120VTX amp, and using compressor, some delay and reverb with the US High Gain (based on a Peavey 5150 I think) it's pretty much there.