Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Footswitch function via Midi

TrueAaginor

Hey folks,

I have a Helix Floor and want to control it via Midi. When playing live, we use a Live Player for click and backings and this player can also send midi signals. 

I am already able to switch programs via the ProgramChange Midi-Command. But I want also want to "press" a footswitch via Midi, it should function the same way as I would have physically pressed the switch. I assigned two funtions on footswitch 2 (bypassing level block and changing the gain parameter on the amp sim). If I read the manual p. 47 correctly, I'd need to send CC50 64~127 to "press" the FSB2. I made sure I am in stomp mode (manually hitting the footswitch works), but when I send the CC it switches to preset 26B instead of "pressing" FSB2.

Any idea what I do wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Frank 

It don't make any sense, apparently.

Facts so far:

• CC50, values 0 (off) 127 (on) (now it works as Toggle), is the right CC for FS2. (B0 32 00 - B0 32 127)
  • Preset 26B is MIDI PC 109 (C0 6D)

So...

1. Try over an empty Preset with just a block assigned on FS2 to see what happens. (maybe that second assingment it's causing the issue)
  2. Check your MIDI Log to see if your external devices are sending the right messages.

Hey Ed, thanks for the reply!

I guess the issue was with Cubase Midi sending (or my mistakes within it). The editor is not really ... userfriendly or intuitiv ... but I finally managed to make it work (probably there was the PC 109 you mentioned somewhere, that I didn't noticed). 

Regarding the CC50 ... I tried with different values, but they all just toggle. Is there a possibility to have (like you mentioned) CC50(0) => always off and CC50(127) => always on? I mean, it works so far when I switch from a different preset, as the footswitch is set to it's default value (at least so it seems). But when I am already at the preset, and the FSB2 is just toggled, it might toggle in the wrong direction. I could workaround this with first switching to an other preset, then switching back to my preset, thus making sure, it is "initialized" with it's default values for the FSBs (on or off). (And make sure the signals are not too close to each other, as the second might not be processed by the Helix). But this is a rather ugly workaround ...

Glad you solved it.

Regarding the FS Toggle... that feature was introduced with the 3.10 Firmware, I think. So check first if your version are up to date.

Anyway... If your external device can receive MIDI, you can use Command Center to make every FS in that Preset to send OUT their own MIDI values, so both devices will be synced. You have to do this per preset (and make sure that HX Edit isn't interfering in the FS status when you're editing the preset, since it doesn't send regular MIDI messages but their own propietary protocol)

If your external device doesn't receive MIDI, then configure it to use Momentary actions instead, sending just an unique value (127). In this way the Helix will toggle the FS anyway. Yes, you lose the visual feedback outside the Helix, but this is the easiest way.

Well. No. Values from 0-63 are the release of the switch and 64-127 the press of the switch. Although it doesn't seem to make any difference, whatever value goes it just toggles the switch (just like you were just stomped on it)

@Ed_Saxman: I don't quite understand, what you try to suggest, so I obviously didn't explain clearly enough what I want to do: Basically, I want to control the Helix solely via MIDI Commands. I want to put it on stage and never ever want to have to touch it. (I just want it infront of me in case something happens to the live player, so it doesn't receive any MIDI signals anymore). So all I might want is to use the MIDI through, if there is another guitar player, that also wants to switch her board via MIDI. So far, it works quite nice (even though there is some latency when switching Presets, but I usually only change the blocks in the effect chain via the FSBs in a song). To make sure, the preset is in its standard condition (regarding the footswitches), I simply change to any preset and then back to the one I want during preclick.