Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Two guitar inputs: which Helix product?

adagosto

Hi all, here's my problem, can it be solved....

I have a Carvin MIDI guitar that has a 1/4" humbucker output and a separate 1/4" peizo output (it also has a midi out).

I would like to run the two 1/4" outputs to a Line 6 "Helix" product, but I'm not sure which one and if it can do what I'm trying to do...here's it is.

I'd like to run the humbuckers into the Line 6 box and out to my Mesa Boogie or PA speaker (Alto). That output could either carry a pre-amp tone or not. Using the 4-cable method might be good here as well.

But then at the same time, I'd like to run the 1/4" peizo output from my guitar into the Line 6 box and have it run through a cleaned up patch for the acoustic sound and output that to a Genz Benz amp or a PA speaker.

Then, once I have all 428 wires hooked up and finished tripping over myself, the Line 6 box could control which amp and tones I'm hearing as well as mix them together for a bi-amp sound.

Can this be done? If so, can it be done with the POD GO (don't think so), what about the HX Stomp (maybe) or any of the other Helix boxes?

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, adagosto said:

what about the HX Stomp

Hi,

Here ya go - an example video from forum member Peter Hamm - he has been doing this sort of thing for a long time.

The HX Stomp or XL will get you there, but if you need even more IN/OUT flexibility and more FX blocks then go for the Helix LT,  Floor or Rack.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I would go ahead and download the manuals for whatever you think you might get to confirm this but.

Helix Rack - Yes

Helix Floor - Yes

Helix Stomp - Yes

Helix Go - Probably not, but it's hard to tell from the manual. It looks like you can use the Guitar In and FX loop return for your two instruments and then use the Main outs and Amp out for the outputs. The Amp out is made to get the signal right before the IR/cab so that's where you'd put the acoustic. The problem is I don't see any way to get those two inputs their own paths. No way to split or pan the inputs.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adagosto said:

I'd like to run the humbuckers into the Line 6 box and out to my Mesa Boogie or PA speaker (Alto). That output could either carry a pre-amp tone or not. Using the 4-cable method might be good here as well.

But then at the same time, I'd like to run the 1/4" peizo output from my guitar into the Line 6 box and have it run through a cleaned up patch for the acoustic sound and output that to a Genz Benz amp or a PA speaker.

This is quite easy with the Helix line....

The big units (rack, floor, LT) can provide a separate path/processor for each input.... while the STOMP and HX Effects would require a parallel path with creative panning to separate everything.

Without any support for parallel paths I think the POD Go becomes to restrictive. The only option would be "input to effects send", and "effects return to output". Although possible, I think that would be very limiting. 

Ok great....I was thinking the POD GO would be limiting in this case, but....can you confirm the Stomp can in fact output parallel paths? This would/should result in having TWO sounds/tones being heard buy two amps/speakers at once. Is that right?

In practice I should be able to have the humbucker guitar out and peizo out each have their own path and separate output that I could plug into my Alto PA speaker which has two 1/4" inputs. This would then combine the humbucker and peizo into one mix. Do I have this right?

On 8/13/2021 at 11:50 AM, adagosto said:

I was thinking the POD GO would be limiting in this case, but....can you confirm the Stomp can in fact output parallel paths?

Although I do not own the Stomp... a browse through the manual suggests that YES, it can output two parallel paths, one to each output. 

By default creating a parallel path will also create a MERGE block. On a Helix you can continue to move that path creating separate outputs (no merge)... but if you can't do that on a Stomp - the merge block should contain a LEFT/RIGHT pan for each path. 

I'm just going on my knowledge of the Helix, and the info in the Stomp manual. I don't have real life experience with the Stomp to say for certain.

10 hours ago, codamedia said:

YES, it can output two parallel paths, one to each output

The Stomp is even more flexible than that:

• 2×mono in
  • create a parallel path right after the input by adding any dummy block as a placeholder
  • split the input channels at the Split block to paths A and B as needed
  • move the mixer block to FX/Aux output
  • add any number of the 8 available blocks to any path you want: 1+7, 2+6, 3+5, 4+4, whatever you need
  • there you have 2×stereo out

I'm using it this way e.g. for an acoustic bass guitar and a stomp box (a self-made plank with a built-in piezzo pickup)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1