Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Distorted sounds, er ..... sound distorted .....

Stratsmyboy

Hi im a first time helix/powercab plus user.

I really am just starting to use this kind of equipment, usually just a tube amp guy at home.

Im starting to put my first couple of presets together and am finding my gain sounds have a unwanted distortion on top when i dig in to the strings. Im using a jtm and plexi amp and cab and both do the same. Ive also tried to use the clean fender amp with a minotaur and although its there its not as pronounced. I always reduce the gain quite a bit as im a low gain guy

Im using the powercab in the flat mode.

Im using an a mogami 3080 aes/ebu.

Im guessing its some user error as im very much in my learning period ....

Any ideas?

By the way, expect more stupid question .....

Assuming you watched Jason Sadites talk about how to setup the PC+ for optimal sound 

You might also watch some of the videos that talk about gain staging. 

You will only create digital clipping from the Helix on the PC if you have bumped up the output from the Helix too much, and the input signal indicator on the PC is "Red" most of the time.  I bounce between yellow and occasionally red, and I don't hear any on my patches.

It's not uncommon to get ugly distortion on patches where stacked pedals have their gain and volume too high.   Check your patch with headphones also to see if you are hearing the ugly distortion.

Work your patch from the amp first just like you would with a real amp.  Most amp models can be cranked up if the original real amps can be for example the marshal plexi and others.

The Fender amps with low gain should sound really clean and powerful through the Powercab using the AES cable you say you are using.

Post problematic patches and I'll see what its doing on my Helix.

18 minutes ago, bobcoss said:

Assuming you watched Jason Sadites talk about how to setup the PC+ for optimal sound 

You might also watch some of the videos that talk about gain staging. 

You will only create digital clipping from the Helix on the PC if you have bumped up the output from the Helix too much, and the input signal indicator on the PC is "Red" most of the time.  I bounce between yellow and occasionally red, and I don't hear any on my patches.

It's not uncommon to get ugly distortion on patches where stacked pedals have their gain and volume too high.   Check your patch with headphones also to see if you are hearing the ugly distortion.

Work your patch from the amp first just like you would with a real amp.  Most amp models can be cranked up if the original real amps can be for example the marshal plexi and others.

The Fender amps with low gain should sound really clean and powerful through the Powercab using the AES cable you say you are using.

Post problematic patches and I'll see what its doing on my Helix.

Hi thanks, by post the patch do you just mean some screen shots?

I havent tried headphones yet although i briefly tried my boss waza air but i didnt get any sound coming through, just a hiss. Ive only ever had green on the powercab

No, I meant that you use HX Edit to "export" your patch as a file, and upload it here on the site.  There is a section her where you can drag files or use your operating systems features to select the file to be added to the forum topic.

I've never tried the waza air.  It looks like a helix in a headphone format that uses a wireless transmitter.  I doubt that would integrate well.      You could perhaps make the 1/4 left (mono) output instrument level in global settings and plugin the wireless transmitter and try it.    

It sounds like you have things setup properly.   What do you mean by "unwanted distortion on top"?

In general, helix users tend to chop off frequencies above certain frequencies to get rid of unwanted "fizz" and strange harmonics and also for low frequencies.  Perhaps that is what you need to do.   There is discussion about that all over the place.