Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Newby Question?

Hulagirl2

Greetings,

New to the forum & to using Line 6 Amplifi 150 - recently purchased used, thankfully so far no major issues to report.

A few quick questions though.

1) Sync's up fine with iOS devices (phone or iPad) and editing patches seems to save across all devices.

Does this mean that any of my saved patch changes reside external to the amp?  (on a line 6 database or somehow in iOS?)

Would eventually like to not be tied to using the iOS device every time I use the amp.

Hoping the patch changes reside on the amp itself as I am looking for a used shortboard mkII as a controller.  Several out there on Reverb & eBay.

2) Anyone using the headphone output jack as a line out to a sound board or Powered P.A. speaker set up?

If so any recommendations on setting levels evenly within patches, so you don't fry the external hardware when changing patches?

Any other thoughts on using the amp as a d.i. style feed to my sound board?  An XLR output would have been such a great addition to this amp!

Thanks in advance for any links back to similar discussions or direct replies!

In response to my own question (#2), I have followed several links wishing for the same direct line output, but have not found a Line 6 provided solution.

Having researched it a bit further, it seems to be possible with a little outboard equipment and a few user added connectors, nothing too complicated but it will require some user mods.

A Speaker level D.I. could be used in-line (between amp output stage & +/-speaker connectors).

This would require cutting the speaker wire and connecting +/- leads to a 1/4 in output jack to the Speaker level D.I. and adding a 1/4 inch return jack from the Speaker level D.I. back into the internal speaker +/- terminals.  If running the amp by itself (without the D.I.) you'd just need a short jumper cable to connect output to return jack.

(Or perhaps, just one 1/4" output jack with leads soldered in parallel to  the  +/- terminals on the speaker itself- * just watch your overall amp ohm load this way!

Most Speaker Level D.I.'s have a switch for line/speaker setting (thus able to handle the higher voltage levels without clipping) and most have both 1/4 and XLR outputs to run directly to the Board. Just remember to set it full time on the Speaker setting.

**What is not known is if there is enough of the effects signal running directly to the 12" speaker for this to be output to the P.A. and sound reasonably close to what you hear from amp itself (or through the headphone circuit)?   Perhaps a forum moderator can weigh in on this with more information.

There is a unit called "RNDI Active Transformer" which should easily handle this set up, but many other brands exist, just do a search for "Speaker Level D.I."

If you don't care about hearing the amp at the same time, and simply want to take the headphone output directly to the board, there are Balanced Male 1/4" TRS to Male XLR cables widely available that will handle this (plug & play) without any user mods.

Just a observation if it helps anyone out there trying to run the Amplifi on stage as an amp and simultaneously drive the output signal direct to a P.A.

2nd response to my own question (#2) - wishing for an XLR output on Amplifi 150.

This may be an alternate solution that is plug & play.  A bit more $ to start off with, but no need to crack open the amp to do anything.

Instead of trying to split a high level signal from speaker output to a D.I., why not use the usb audio record out function.

Presuming the best way to do this is with a USB digital audio converter that takes the output (normally to computer/DAW) and converts to balanced XLR.

In theory this should still allow use of the amp for stage volume and simultaneously convert the digital audio out from USB to XLR to run to the sound board with effects intact. Some can run in either summed mono or full L/R stereo if you can get sound guy to give you 2 separate channels on the board.

Have not tried this yet, but think it should work just fine and best part no cracking open of the amp case or soldering required.

(might just need to buy a usb -a to usb -b adapter so you have a b to b connection from amp to digital audio converter)

See if you agree?  Anyone done something like this?  Please post !

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1380815-REG/on_stage_db2150_stereo_usb_di_box.html/?msclkid=8014d6a21c4010ed13abb7bf089c1ddf

or

http://whirlwindusa.com/media/uploads/pcusb-final.pdf

On-Stage DB2150 Stereo USB DAC - Direct Box DB2150 B&H Photo.URL

• 1 month later...