Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power surge issue after updating firmware

siffer2

Hi there HELIX-lovers!

I recently upgraded the firmware on my new HELIX (which ofcourse bricked it, but I fixed it via the forums, others had the same issue).
Since then, when I plug the HELIX into my computer via USB, I get a warning in Windows:

image.png.ad3115ef8f9c9a963ece841d9da25ec9.png

The warning comes up every 5 seconds, so I have to disconnect the HELIX.
The PC does not recognize the HELIX during this time. I did not have this problem before upgrading my firmware.
The USB drivers are published by Microsoft according to Device manager, and according to Microsoft Update the drivers are up to date.

Has anyone had the same issue and know a fix for this? The HELIX obviously has its own power supply, so it doesn't make sense that it would try to siphon form the USB port.

I only have mouse and keyboard plugged in, aside form the HELIX.

Thank you!

Are you sure you are using the Line 6 driver, not a generic Microsoft driver? Did you follow the firmware update procedures as published in the firmware release notes? If not, I would expect two things to happen:

1) The firmware update will not work, and

2) You will have driver issues.

• Upvote 1

To my knowledge no additional software was needed to use the HELIX?

Regardless, I downloaded "Line 6 Helix Driver2 v1.96" and installed this, and restarted. It did not make a difference.

EDIT: Looked up the "firmware release notes":

Per their recommendations I have performed a factory reset. However this did not make a difference either.

Edited by siffer2
Tried something more

16 minutes ago, siffer2 said:

To my knowledge no additional software was needed to use the HELIX?

That's true unless you want to connect your Helix to a computer. If so you need the Line 6 drivers. And HX Edit is also additional software if you want to use it - it's not necessary.

As for your current driver issue, there are 2 Line 6 drivers involved. One is for DAW support (that's the one you mention). The other is for general usb audio support. Find it and download/install it. if you are still experiencing issues open a support ticket.

btw...  installing HX Edit first, per the installation procedures, installs both drivers.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, siffer2 said:

I recently upgraded the firmware on my new HELIX (which ofcourse bricked it, but I fixed it via the forums, others had the same issue).
Since then, when I plug the HELIX into my computer via USB, I get a warning in Windows

5 hours ago, siffer2 said:

Has anyone had the same issue and know a fix for this? 

Hi,

Hmm… well, if you type “power surge on usb port windows 10” into Google you will get lots of hits, including this one.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000149584/power-surge-on-the-usb-port-in-windows-10

If this was purely related to the Helix update, then I would expect these forums to be alive with complaints. AFAIK, yours is the first that I have seen.

Probably “driver” error.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I have had a similar problem for a while now so much so that i cant use Helix edit on my pc.My helix goes into  my Presonus Studiolive 32desk (stereo xlrs) which is a sound card also.If i try and plug the usb into my pc (any slot)the Main level meter on the mixer shows overload.No phantom power running at all.Any ideas?

25 minutes ago, localhero said:

Any ideas?

Yep, same thing as i recently posted above - there a lots and lots of instances of this reported if you Google it.

One site states:

"But there’s no need to panic. You’re not the only one. We’ve had many reports from Windows users about this error. You’ll be relieved to know it’s possible to fix it. Read on and see how."

Here's the link to that  one:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-power-surge-usb-port-error-windows-10/

Nobody seems to question if this actually could be brought about by a change in their Microsoft Windows system.

It always appears as if people wish to blame Line 6. Believe me, it is not in their interests to screw stuff up.

The OP is a case in point when he states:

"I recently upgraded the firmware on my new HELIX (which of course bricked it, but I fixed it via the forums, others had the same issue)."

I love the casual, almost throw away comment, "which of course bricked it"!

Yeah, right, of course that usually seems to happen when people don't follow instructions and get it all wrong.

Many thousands of users manage to perform updates without any problems at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, datacommando said:

Yep, same thing as I posted above - there a lots and lots of instances of this reported if you Google it.

One site states:

"But there’s no need to panic. You’re not the only one. We’ve had many reports from Windows users about this error. You’ll be relieved to know it’s possible to fix it. Read on and see how."

Nobody seems to question if this actually could be brought about by a change in their Microsoft Windows system.

It always appears as if people wish to blame Line 6. Believe me, it is not in their interests to screw stuff up.

"I recently upgraded the firmware on my new HELIX (which of course bricked it, but I fixed it via the forums, others had the same issue)."

Yeah, right, of course that usually seems to happen when people don't follow instructions and get it all wrong.

Many thousands of users manage to perform updates within problems at all.

Thanks so much for this.I have had the Helix since it came out and this is the first issue i've ever had (I even had to reset my desk to original firmware as the spike in the meter would not go away no matter what).I'll give this article a good read and take appropriate action.Thanks once again.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2021 at 4:30 PM, silverhead said:

That's true unless you want to connect your Helix to a computer. If so you need the Line 6 drivers. And HX Edit is also additional software if you want to use it - it's not necessary.

As for your current driver issue, there are 2 Line 6 drivers involved. One is for DAW support (that's the one you mention). The other is for general usb audio support. Find it and download/install it. if you are still experiencing issues open a support ticket.

btw...  installing HX Edit first, per the installation procedures, installs both drivers.

I've downloaded and installed the driver you're talking about, it did not make a difference. I installed and ran HX Edit successfully before upgrading the firmware, so I assumed everything would be set.

6 hours ago, datacommando said:

Yep, same thing as i recently posted above - there a lots and lots of instances of this reported if you Google it.

One site states:

Many thousands of users manage to perform updates without any problems at all.

Thank you for your responses.

It was HX Edit that upgraded the firmware, which bricked the HELIX. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for the software provided by the vendor to be robust enough to update firmware on its own, without needing the user to boot in safe mode and install manually downloaded patches. But that's beside the point, I can live with that. A less tech-savvy user might not.

Before I made this thread I of course troubleshot the error, and

1) Changed the power settings and USB settings (via Decide manager) to not turn off the USB hubs to save power

2) Found out who the USB driver provider was (Microsoft) and uninstalled the drivers, and afterwards checked that no new drivers were available via Windows Update

3) Ran the Windows hardware troubleshooter, no issues here.

Having done the "obvious fixes", and seeing that the issue was not resolved, I created this thread. I assumed that it would be the new thing (HELIX) that was the problem, given that I have tried the common fixes, had not had this issue before, and that I did not have the issue before upgrading the firmware.

1 hour ago, siffer2 said:

Having done the "obvious fixes", and seeing that the issue was not resolved, I created this thread. I assumed that it would be the new thing (HELIX) that was the problem, given that I have tried the common fixes, had not had this issue before, and that I did not have the issue before upgrading the firmware.

Fine.

Time to raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Sounds like you have done some shuffling around with drivers and whatnot as you attempted to troubleshoot this. I would download and reinstall the version of HX Edit that matches your firmware just to make sure things are back in synch.

If you have not already, I would also try swapping in other USB cables and try connecting on all of my USB ports (front and back if you are on a desktop PC). If you are on a laptop, same advice and obvious though it may seem, make sure it is plugged in and charging, not running on battery. Good luck with this. 

• Upvote 2

Aside from the suggested USB cables testing/swapping and using your primary USB port (closest to the main power connector of your PC), backup any of your custom presets and Global settings.

Then, completely uninstall all of the Line 6 software from your system! Doing so should also remove any vestiges of Line 6's drivers. If necessary, use Control Panel or Microsoft's higher tier software removal tools.

Next, with a known clean system (i.e free of any Line 6 software), go to Line 6's site and download HX Edit. Install HX Edit. It should install a clean set of drivers and software. 

If following such installation, the problem persists, at least, you can advise Line 6 of the steps you took, as they further assist you through your Support Ticket.

Hope matters get resolved soon. 

• Upvote 3