Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AC30 model unexpected EQ consequence

gbr13697

I use the expression pedal with most of my amp models as a gain control.  For instance, I may have the pedal set to increase gain and treble, whilst also decreasing bass and channel volume.  Today I was tinkering with an AC30, trying to solve the perennial problem of ice-pick bridge pickups on Strats and Teles. With the pedal heel-down, I increased the Tone Cut until I got acceptable tone from my bridge pick-up.  I checked that I wasn't over darkening the neck pick-up, and kept adjusting the treble and cut to get a nice clean tone.

Then I put the toe-down on the pedal, and found that my gain had vanished!  After a while it clicked that the Cut control is not part of the pre-amp tone stack, but operates further down the line.  If you use too much cut, it also drops the signal and reduces overdrive.  A bit more fiddling, and increasing the maximum gain to 10, got me a decent compromise.

Incidentally, I also found that swapping the AC30 Bluebell cab for Greenbacks or Creambacks, and using a ribbon mic further out instead of dynamic close in, also helps.

It still sometimes comes as a surprise to find that the modelling works as it should!

Yep... that's how AC30's work. The tone cut is pure magic once you figure it out. 

Like you, I am also a fan of greenbacks in a VOX amp... there is a time for the blue bells, but for general use I prefer greenbacks. 

As for mics, I use a 121 ribbon on everything... often pulled back about 4" - 6". It's a much warmer tone than the dynamic models. 

On 8/21/2021 at 7:23 AM, gbr13697 said:

It still sometimes comes as a surprise to find that the modelling works as it should!

Exactly. amps are not dumbed down in a Helix... they work like the real amps do.