Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts on the Orange Terror Stamp

loydall

I've just added the Orange Terror Stamp to my board. Seriously impressed with this thing. Both as a standalone amp and as a power-amp solution for my HX Stomp. I'm not a fan of going straight to PA/FRFR so the amp to cab set up is something I've settled with for a few years now - using the preamps/amps of the HX Stomp as well as the preamp of the actual amp.

I've heard some people say the terror stamp isn't loud enough to gig with but I just don't see how (unless my band happens to be much quieter than other bands?). This thing is seriously loud. The only time I think people might struggle is getting very clean cleans using the Stamp as a "normal" amp, going through its preamp. But - using one of the helix preamps and going straight to FX return on the Stamp gives loud, clear cleans.

However - just in case I did want to go hyper-loud I have a plan. I'm going to buy a second Terror Stamp, sell my 2x12 and buy 2 1x12 cabs then run a stereo setup all powered by 2 Terror Stamps on my board. That will be incredibly loud plus I'll be able to use all the stereo helix effects etc.

Anyone else using the Stamp? I used to have the orange pedal baby which I love but (for some reason) felt I was missing a real valve growl from my set up (even though I know the helix amps are exceptional). The Stamp gives me both - a valve preamp and a clean power-stage for my helix.

The best thing is they go for £120 so my dual setup will cost me £240 which is still cheap.

(I do appreciate there are probably pedal amps out there that already do stereo out but with 2 Terror Stamps I can eq them both independently with different gain settings for some really interesting sounds). 

On 8/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, loydall said:

I'm not a fan of going straight to PA/FRFR so the amp to cab set up is something I've settled with for a few years now

I'm glad you found something that works for you... I just don't have the desire to put a limit a product (Helix) that has endless options when used in "full range". 

20 hours ago, codamedia said:

I'm glad you found something that works for you... I just don't have the desire to put a limit a product (Helix) that has endless options when used in "full range". 

I know it's been discussed to death many times over but I've tried FRFR many times/systems and it just doesn't sit with me. Maybe at home it's ok but at practice/live you can't beat your own cabinet. It's a totally different playing experience interacting with a real cabinet. 

Anyway - the helix amps/preamps sound great through the Terror Stamp.

• Like 1