Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fractal FM9

Paulzx

3 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

I run my Helix Floor into a guitar amp using the 4CM.

Am I  blind?    I don't see any loops on the FM9.

From the Fractal website:

• Analog inputs include Fractal Audio’s “Secret Sauce” 1/4″ instrument input, plus two separate stereo pairs of balanced 1/4″ jacks for use as “aux” ins or “returns.”
  • The main stereo output is equipped with both XLR and 1/4″ outs, plus a headphones jack. Two additional independent stereo outputs — one XLR and one 1/4″ — can be used as “aux” outs or “sends.”

There is also a diagram of how to connect using the 4CM on page 36 of the User Manual.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM9/FM9-Owners-Manual.pdf

I still think - not for me!

Edited by datacommando
Added link

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

From the Fractal website:

• Analog inputs include Fractal Audio’s “Secret Sauce” 1/4″ instrument input, plus two separate stereo pairs of balanced 1/4″ jacks for use as “aux” ins or “returns.”
  • The main stereo output is equipped with both XLR and 1/4″ outs, plus a headphones jack. Two additional independent stereo outputs — one XLR and one 1/4″ — can be used as “aux” outs or “sends.”

There is also a diagram of how to connect using the 4CM on page 36 of the User Manual.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM9/FM9-Owners-Manual.pdf

I still think - not for me!

Thanks for the linkage.

Did some reading there.

It's got limited capabilities compared to Helix when it comes to patching and routing and it doesn't have an expression pedal.  From what I can tell its only advantage (for me) over Helix is brain power.   It seems to me FM9 is more like HX-Stomp XL than Helix Floor except at a higher price point.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Well, I've been a Helix user back to the initial release of the floor. I have also owned an Axe FX III as well as an FM3 with the 6 switch unit and a Mission pedal. Twice I've gone over to Fractal, and twice I've come back to Helix. The Fractal stuff is really incredible. Truly superb units. But so is Helix. Don't buy into the hype (as I did twice). Perhaps Fractal has marginally better modeling, though using both, I'm not convinced. For the clean-to-crunch zone I live in, preferring IRs on BOTH, I find them totally equal, with the Helix way easier to find the sound I want. Fractal effects are beautiful, BUT - I was never able to dial in the realistic self-oscillation on the Fractal echoes that I can do on the Helix. Also, I'm a big Timmy user. On the Helix, the settings on the Teemah match my real Timmy v2 to a T (so to speak), and A/B perfectly with the real Timmy in a Send. On the Fractals, I couldn't get either of the Timmy emulations to sound and act like the real one. Same with the pedal compressors. And the all time most annoying thing about the Fractal for me - the switching system. Having the footswitches that don't change with the program (without specific detailed per-patch programming - a royal PITA) is insanity-making. I took the plunge twice, and I'm back with the Helix to stay. Fractal makes SUPERB units, but superior to Helix? Maybe in some ways, but Helix is better in others. Quality of sound? Maybe on the factory patches, but overall I don't think so. No one at my shows or hearing my recordings (including me) would notice a quality difference. I don't really believe there is one - mostly that Fractal perhaps has better factory patches. I found 99% on both units out of the box NG for me. If you enjoy spending long hours chasing down rabbit holes tweaking (and some folks do, and that's cool), or if your a rich star and hire someone to do all your programming, Fractal may appeal. If you're a player, Helix is far friendlier. I want to spend hours playing music, not programming minute details and switch insanity. Sound? Equals in my book- and I have extensive experience in both. Love your Helix. Especially with the latest update, it is a monster.