Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boot failure, device not connected . TIP to resolve

Punkyboy

Get my Helix LT today, after enjoy the presets, I make the step to update the firmware.
And the hell started, boot failure,trying 3 cables, no way, restart 20 times HX Edit no way, restart computer, delete the usb device etc...
after 1 hours of misery
NO WAY . I was really pissed
I decide to run Line 6 updater and that was resolved in 2 minutes
If you encounter this misery to update with HX edit, switch to Line updater

51 minutes ago, Punkyboy said:

Get my Helix LT today, after enjoy the presets, I make the step to update the firmware.
And the hell started, boot failure,trying 3 cables, no way, restart 20 times HX Edit no way, restart computer, delete the usb device etc...
after 1 hours of misery
NO WAY . I was really pissed
I decide to run Line 6 updater and that was resolved in 2 minutes
If you encounter this misery to update with HX edit, switch to Line updater

Hi,

You say that you just got your Helix LT today and you went to update the Firmware to 3.11, but you didn't say what version was already installed. If it was pre 2.80 you may encounter some problems. There was a major change to the Core operating system back on v2.80 and the information about the "Boot Failure" is documented in the Release Notes.

It is also documented in the Release notes for 3.11.

Quote: "My Helix/HX is at version X.XX. Can I go straight to 3.11. Absolutely, but note that if you're starting with a version lower than 2.80, the update will appear to happen twice. This is normal."

In the Official Notes for Updating Helix/HX it states:

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.

It's really useful to read all the documentation before performing firmware updates, so you don't encounter any unpleasant surprises.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I don't remember the firmware, but can be 2.80 or 2.30 ,I don't know, it was never updated I think

But I'm with you when you say" It is also documented in the Release notes for 3.11" 

But my opinion !

If you buy a gear on this price, the information  that you mentioned must be in the box !

But excellent unit , sound amazing !

51 minutes ago, Punkyboy said:

If you buy a gear on this price, the information  that you mentioned must be in the box !

But excellent unit , sound amazing !

Good to know that everything is working and you are happy with your Helix. Continue being amazed - everyday it gets better.