Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Effects with external footswitch

Dec82

I recently bought a mission engineering TT-2 (2 button footswitch) and was planning to use it with Hx Effects with move through presets.

I couldn't get it to work and got confirmation why from mission "Unfortunately, HX Effects does on support external footswitches. The Pedal inputs on HX effects can only be connected to expression pedals or external amplifier switch inputs. You will not be able to use the TT-2 with HX Effects."

Given this works on the Hx Stomp I was wondering if there are any plans for a future software update to enable this functionality or is it a hardware restriction?

It would be really useful.

Any info much appreciated.

No, I’m sure that capability won’t be coming to the HX Effects, as it simply a difference in the way the expression jacks on the two devices are wired. On the HX Effects, the jacks can be set up to be expression inputs or amp relay outputs. On the Stomp and Stomp XL, they can be used for expression pedals or switches.

I was hoping there was some way to 'trick' it into thinking that a switch was a pedal.  How?  Well, the Hx detects a minimum value from the pedal and a maximum value.  One of these is used to turn the pedal off or on.  Why couldn't a switch be used the same way.  When the switch is engaged, the HX sees a minimum value and when the switch is off it sees a maximum.

1 hour ago, mferrand said:

I was hoping there was some way to 'trick' it into thinking that a switch was a pedal. 

Hi, again.

Hoping for a different answer will not change the facts and make your Mission Aero EP-25-PRO pedal suddenly work with your HX Effects. The OP stated that Mission had explained, Unfortunately, HX Effects does on support external footswitches.”

The post from “phil_m” above also confirms what I had previously pointed out in the other thread you started, where you asked about this. On the HX Effects, the jacks can be set up to be expression inputs or amp relay outputs.”

Hoping isn’t going to change the way the physical unit functions.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 6 months later...

I made a footswitch to act as an expression pedal on my Tech21 Midi Mongoose.   You simply need to put a 10k resistance in parallel between tip and sleeve.

A momentary switch will activates when you press and deactivates when you release.

A latching switch will actives when you press but you would have to press again to deactivate.

So if you change preset, you will have to press twice (to deactivate and reactivate).

Not ideal but working.

• 7 months later...

I used a 2 button switch to make a mock expression pedal for my EXP 2 input.  I used the normally closed contacts on the momentary switches. 

If you're not familiar with that,  it means that the switch always is closed(the wires are connected) when the switch is not pressed.  Pressing the switch opens the contact.

I wired a 5K ohm resistor across the contacts on one switch, and a 10K ohm resistor across the other.  I wired both switches in para