Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 700 Electric

I have a 700 guitar that I just bought from one of my other guitar players. I am totally confounded by this fact: He modified the tuning on the presets (Acoustics, FYI). Tuning, etc.

I know from playing the 500 series for 15 years that you could set "pre-set" tuning and tones on the custom switches. He changed the presets on the Acoustics, etc. Tuning, etc. How did that happen?

I have tried 4 different ways to reset the "flash" to factory for this guitar, following all protocols defined on the Line6 and Googled it 30 times. I have no idea how he managed to change the tuning and tones on the 'Acoustic" dial. Can anyone tell me how I can REALLY get this guitar back to factory presets?

Thank you!

"Chief"

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 5:23 PM, callmechief said:

I have no idea how he managed to change the tuning and tones on the 'Acoustic" dial. Can anyone tell me how I can REALLY get this guitar back to factory presets?

You can overwrite any preset in any location.... he obviously re-wrote his acoustic models with special tunings. 

Can anyone tell me how I can REALLY get this guitar back to factory presets?

You need to download the original presets for the 1st Gen Variax and load those into the guitar through Workbench. 

Or there is one simple options..... open the "de-tuned" acoustic in Workbench, remove the special tunings, and save it back in it's original location. Repeat for any model that seems to have been adjusted. 

I have tried 4 different ways to reset the "flash" to factory for this guitar,

IIRC the only proper way to re-flash the guitar is through Monkey.... and I honestly don't remember if it loads factory presets or not. I seem to recall you could update the firmware without overwriting your guitar..... which would suggest NO, it does not reload factory presets. It's been a long, long time since I've done that. 

I found how to get the factory presets re-installed  in the Variax 700.

Thank you!

Now I am trying to find Windows 10-64 version of  Workbench and Edit software for a Pod XT Live

I have an HD500x, but I am not ready to use it for live performance. I probably need to find a USB to MIDI driver as well.

My interface an old Roland/Cakewalk USB to MIDI (UM-1G).

Recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 12:06 PM, callmechief said:

Now I am trying to find Windows 10-64 version of  Workbench and Edit software for a Pod XT Live

To Install LINE 6 EDIT (For the XT Live) on Windows 10.... follow this HOW TO   (the first post)

https://line6.com/support/topic/59140-how-to-install-line-6-edit-on-windows-10/

To Install LINE 6 WORKBENCH (for 1st gen Variax Guitars) on Windows 10... follow this HOW TO    (the first post)

https://line6.com/support/topic/59142-how-to-install-the-original-workbench-on-windows-10/

I wrote both of these... and it's the method I STILL USE for each when installing on Windows 10 machines.

NOTE: Don't assume anything... follow each step precisely

• Upvote 1