Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What can and can't be changed with snapshot ?

ArthurBoutellis

Hello everyone,

I have some trouble understanding what "parameters" refers to in the guide, and which of those can be changed in snapshots. I know that snapshots lets you toggle blocks on and off, but is it also possible to change the value of some of the parameters within a block (let's say, the amount of distorsion, the amount of delay etc), or the global volume of the preset (the one you see when pressing multi) ? I tried it and when I change something within a block, it automatically changes it in all the other snpashots as well.

Hi, Sure you can, on the helix itself, select the snapshot you want to edit, locate the parameter, as you change the parameter press the dial in you'll see 2 white brackets appear surrounding the parameter, this has not been selected as a change in the snapshot, ... DONT FORGET you need to save your new preset!

Heres a great bit of info for you.. I'm terrible at explaining things!

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/helix/snapshots

57 minutes ago, ArthurBoutellis said:

Hello everyone,

I have some trouble understanding what "parameters" refers to in the guide, and which of those can be changed in snapshots. I know that snapshots lets you toggle blocks on and off, but is it also possible to change the value of some of the parameters within a block (let's say, the amount of distorsion, the amount of delay etc), or the global volume of the preset (the one you see when pressing multi) ? I tried it and when I change something within a block, it automatically changes it in all the other snpashots as well.

Hi,

This might be a good place to start for the basics in “Snapshots”, because  can be as simple, or complex as you like.

I may be useful to check out more of Jason’s videos to give you a grounding in using this stuff.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

In case it wasn't clear, you do have to assign whatever parameter you want to change from one snapshot to another, by assginning it to snapshots. Markdaniels explaind how to do this from the Helix. From HX Edit your right click on the parameters number and select snapshots. If you do this from HX Edit, notice all of the other possible choices in the list that pops up. The flexibility you have in controlling things on the Helix is VERY comprehensive.

• Upvote 1

One cool way of using snapshots is to use change the mix parameters of various blocks to 0 or 100 percent.  When at 0, they are essentially bypassed.

In my case, I have several filters and a wah blocks, all within the same preset.  I only want to have one filter per snapshot.  So I set the rest mixed at 0 percent and they do not make any sound.  I set all these blocks to be engaged with an EXP pedal.  So as a result, in my preset I have 3 different filter / special effects that I can engage within specific snapshots with the exp pedal. 

It's a shame not all blocks have a mix parameter....

3 hours ago, ArthurBoutellis said:

Hello everyone,

I have some trouble understanding what "parameters" refers to in the guide, and which of those can be changed in snapshots.

The short answer is "essentially everything"... in fact, I don't think I've stumbled on any parameter,  in any block, that can't be controlled with snapshots.

I know that snapshots lets you toggle blocks on and off, but is it also possible to change the value of some of the parameters within a block (let's say, the amount of distorsion, the amount of delay etc), or the global volume of the preset (the one you see when pressing multi) ? I tried it and when I change something within a block, it automatically changes it in all the other snpashots as well.

You have to manually assign each individual parameter that you wish to control with snapshots...otherwise you're not actually using the snapshot function at all. There is a limit of 64 parameters that can be controlled by snapshots within each individual patch... but unless your patches are insanely complex, I doubt you'll ever come close to hitting that wall.

Treat each snapshot as it's own discrete entity. Set one up as you see fit,  and save the patch. At this point, the remaining snapshots are all identical to the first, by default... that's just the way it is. Then proceed to the second one, making whatever changes you want, always saving the patch once you're done. Lather, rinse, repeat...

• Upvote 1

@ArthurBoutellis, during several years of using my Helix gear (Floor and Stomp) I have yet to reach the 64 Parameters Maximum limit in any Snapshot.

As far as I know, the 64 Parameters Maximum is per snapshot -- not per Preset. (If this is incorrect, I am certain someone will post a correction.)