Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can anyone think of any multi-effects pedal that doesn't have an expression pedal jack?

hideout

A word to the wise.  If you use an expression pedal  to control parameters on whatever MFX pedal you use and are considering the Mod Dwarf,  DON'T!

Unbelievably, they did not think it important to include an expression pedal jack in the Mod Dwarf.  Their best recommendation was for me to build an Arduino device that would allow the use of an expression pedal!!!!! Unfreaking believable!!

I'm supposed to be getting one at the end of September that I'm just going to have to turn around and TRY to sell.

I absolutely agree that this is a sort of massive oversight. "Sort of" because possibly there's some rather inexpensive solutions for adressing this, the first coming to mind being a MIDI expression pedal.

Oh well, no need to even post and later edit this - I just googled around a bit and it seems as if the cheapest MIDI-Out expression pedal (of which there are not even a handful, as it seems) are starting at well over 150 bucks already.
Maybe there's some cheaper ones delivering MIDI via USB, but I doubt that. So yeah, that makes this an even bigger oversight - almost idiotic, given that the Mod Dwarf allows for all sorts of effects to be loaded, some of them defenitely profiting from an expression pedal.
For a moment, I thought that they want you to buy an extra MOD footswitch - but they don't feature any EXP in, either.

Downright stupid, really. But thank's for mentioning this, the Mod Dwarf has been on my "list of interesting things" for a while already - but this is defenitely not speaking in favour of it.

• Like 1

My sentiments exactly. I have contacted them and in a typically “corporate” response, I get non-responses. “We’ve answered that question.”  
For me, it’s an extreme disappointment. I’ve paid for the thing already via their IndieGoGo campaign. I bit because they seemed thoughtful and careful about how they do things. Boy, was I wrong. Hubris can quickly make any genius act like an imbecile. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hideout said:

Unbelievably, they did not think it important to include an expression pedal jack in the Mod Dwarf.

Hi,

Mmm… that might well be true, but on their website there is a full spec and a diagram showing the ins and outs that are utilised on the Mod Dwarf. Nowhere does it intimate that an Expression pedal input is included anywhere in the unit. 

Oddly enough, the Mod Duo actually has 2 Exp/CV Jack sockets, so they must have considered that. Again these 2 jack sockets are visible on the product. I don’t think that the manufacturer is trying to deceive you about the spec of either device. The photos of the items are there for all to see.

As for your situation of having “to turn around and TRY to sell” this thing, well also on the front page of the website, right beside the “learn more” button is a flash stating “30 day money back guarantee”.

See it here:

https://moddevices.com

Hope this helps/makes sense.

6 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

Mmm… that might well be true, but on their website there is a full spec and a diagram showing the ins and outs that are utilised on the Mod Dwarf. Nowhere does it intimate that an Expression pedal input is included anywhere in the unit. 

Oddly enough, the Mod Duo actually has 2 Exp/CV Jack sockets, so they must have considered that. Again these 2 jack sockets are visible on the product. I don’t think that the manufacturer is trying to deceive you about the spec of either device. The photos of the items are there for all to see.

As for your situation of having “to turn around and TRY to sell” this thing, well also on the front page of the website, right beside the “learn more” button is a flash stating “30 day money back guarantee”.

See it here:

https://moddevices.com

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Take a look at the picture below. Nowhere is there a port that is for an expression pedal.  When I contacted them, they did not deny that there is no expression pedal jack but they were not upfront about this at the Dwarf’s introduction. 

As for the 30 day money back guarantee, I'm sure all new buyers will have that luxury. I’m  not sure how it will apply to those who backed their IndieGoGo campaign - which is what I did.  I did find one possible solution. The Boss EV-1 WL. It could work  IF the Dwarf's USB-A port actually provides bus power... and that's a BIG if.  And it's $150!!

image.png.6813fca28d38953d8329d49945d0ac5d.png

5 hours ago, hideout said:

Take a look at the picture below. Nowhere is there a port that is for an expression pedal.  When I contacted them, they did not deny that there is no expression pedal jack but they were not upfront about this at the Dwarf’s introduction. 

As for the 30 day money back guarantee, I'm sure all new buyers will have that luxury. I’m  not sure how it will apply to those who backed their IndieGoGo campaign - which is what I did.  I did find one possible solution. The Boss EV-1 WL. It could work  IF the Dwarf's USB-A port actually provides bus power... and that's a BIG if.  And it's $150!!

Hi again,

Yes, as I had already stated in my previous post, I had seen that picture and read the specification on the website - it doesn’t show an option to connect an expression pedal.

I watched one of the YouTube demos of the Mod Dwarf and thought it was a little strange that the guy was using an “auto-wah” plug in rather than the real thing. If you feel you have been misled by the manufacturer then you should be entitled to get your money (investment) back. It wouldn’t be in anyone’s interests for them to deliberately dupe you, or anyone else. 

As you note, a further spend in the region of $150 is a big ask, because that puts you close to the asking price of the Mod Duo which has 2 expression pedal jacks. 

I’m  not sure what the law in Germany is regarding the “sale of goods” and “fit for purpose”, but ask for your money back, as the unit does not do what you expect it to do.

Hope this helps/makes sense 

• Like 1

So this was their latest answer on Facebook. 

“The Beh­ringer FCB1010 or the Roland FC-300 are MIDI pedalboards with expression pedals. The Meris MIDI I/O allows you to convert any expression pedal into MIDI”

They actually expect people to buy a huge midi controller just to be able to use an expression pedal!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hideout said:

They actually expect people to buy a huge midi controller just to be able to use an expression pedal!

A couple other options that they suggested to a guy who appeared particularly outraged about the lack expression pedal input:

"As we already mentioned in previous answers to you, you have at least 3 different ways to connect an expression pedal. Either via Control Chain, USB MIDI, TRS MIDI or DIN MIDI (using a TRS to DIN adapter)."

Then they also say in another post:

"Here at MOD Devices we pride ourselves on doing things that nobody else does, in a way nobody else does."

Well, that's certainly true!

I don't think I will bother with any of their stuff and just stick to what I know.

:-)

• Like 1

The weird thing is they have marketed the Dwarf specifically towards guitar players and I think an overwhelming majority of us do use expression pedals.  It seems to me that they just simply did not think it through! You're right, datacommando. This quote is highly accurate: "Here at MOD Devices we pride ourselves on doing things that nobody else does, in a way nobody else does."

• Like 1