Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Favorites - Your approach?

themetallikid

Dumb question (more than likely) but its slow at work and I have new IR's to play with.  Got me thinking about my use of Favorites...I usually create my favorites after I create a preset.  I go through each block and save it with the presets name-block name. 

It seems clunky and not organized well.  Looking for different approaches to how you use/manage your favorites. 

Honestly, I think some of my fave's could just be replaced with user defaults for the amp blocks and such.  I think also I struggle with the amps that can do multiple sounds with different approaches to the settings (think your all in one amp styles) 

Just a conversation...no issues here.

I organize my presets first by block type, then I name the favourites based on the (real world, not line 6 name) effect name and then what it does, e.g. "Klon - boost", or "DMM - ambient", "Litigator - clean".

I'll usually save my go-to sound for a block as a user default and then I'll only save favourites for sounds that are a significant departure from that. That way things stay cleaner and I don't have a bunch of different favourites for variations on the same sound. I'll generally use the favourite as a starting point and then make small tweaks from there in the preset.

I also tend to not create favourites for blocks that have few parameters (e.g. red comp) or that I find are easy/quick to dial in (e.g. hot springs). I'll just dial those in on the fly as needed for whatever preset I'm building.

5 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Looking for different approaches to how you use/manage your favorites. 

5 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Honestly, I think some of my fave's could just be replaced with user defaults for the amp blocks and such. 

For the most part I agree with you... "user defaults" are the big picture, but favorites is still useful and shouldn't be overlooked. Here are three example from my viewpoint.

• I'm a creature of habit.... and use the same amps & effects almost everywhere. When building a preset, having all of these in favorites puts them ALL in quick reach.  If I just relied on user defaults I'd still be scrolling through multiple windows while adding blocks. Sure... there are times I might add something different, but having my favorite "go to's" in one spot is really handy.
  • I might have multiple "favorites" using the same amp or effect. User Defaults only allow ONE starting point, favorites will let you add the same amp or effect with different settings multiple times... with different names (keep reading)
  • I can rename it (EG: WhoWatt is now a HIWATT, Vermin is now a RAT, etc... etc... )

Long story short.

• If it's something I use regularly - it lands in favorites. 
  • If it's something I found a good setting for and might use it someday, it becomes a user default. 

NOTE: My thoughts and ideas are subject to change :

I use a very small number of favourites as I prefer to swap in different things to try at their default and tweak as necessary. Whilst I still have a number of go to effects ams etc, it stops me always using one sound.

My true 'favourites' that I use in pretty much every patch are the horizon gate first and rochester comp last with some default starting settings, and they're on my primary template.

11 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

Yeah, I really havent utilized the 'user defaults' at all, and feel like it will replace lots of my amp setting favorites.  However, if you save a user default with the Amp + Cab block, does it remember the cab/mic choices as well or only the Amp settings portion?

Here’s what the manual says: “Existing MIDI, bypass, snapshot, and controller assignments are not saved with the User Model Defaults.” That implies everything else is saved, including cab/mic choices with Amp+Cab models.

Manuals are wonderful things! Packed full of useful information.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, silverhead said:

Here’s what the manual says: “Existing MIDI, bypass, snapshot, and controller assignments are not saved with the User Model Defaults.” That implies everything else is saved, including cab/mic choices with Amp+Cab models.

Manuals are wonderful things! Packed full of useful information.

Yeah, I'm habitually not a RTFM guy once I grasp the nuts and bolts of things, but with it being a release afterwards...and the time its taking me to get to this point....whoops, in one ear and out the other.  

Thanks for sharing that though.