Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Aux In Experiment With Other Modelers

charlyg

Yesterday I ran my 11R thru the Amplifi aux in, and it was great! I also ran Bias on my iPad mini thru it. and then I played the Amplifi by itself. For me, any one of these would be cool, and I like the I/O felxibility of the 11R, but if not for that, I would be happy with just Bias and the Amplifi. I also have Ampkit+ and Amplitube on the iPad but haven't run them thru the Amplifi as yet.

PS - I had ran the Pod HD thru it as well with good results before I sold it to help fund the 11R and FCB.

So, cool beans!

Thanks for sharing!  The multi-flexible piece of equipment I have been wanting and waiting for.

.....and still waiting.  According to Fex Ex, I'll be able to try this too by 5:00pm today :-)

I have Amplitube (and iRig) too.  Also, I just bought the full blown Amplitube for PC.  As far as connections go, I'm guessing AUX IN to the Amplifi from my PC?  Seems wrong to use a skinny cable with 1/8" jacks on either end to feed a guitar amp.  I think I also have a bluetooth USB dongle around here somewhere.

- Tony

I have no idea, I assume it was at the default setting.

When you run your 11R or POD HD thur the aux in, what kind of volume level (the external device in this case) are you driving into the Amplifi? ie:  more than 50% level in order to achieve a decent loudness and etc... and what kind of level you need to drive in Amplifi (beyond 12 o'clock etc?)

I experimented by running my Pod HD bean stereo into the aux in. It worked great, and I agree with the statement above about a very flexible piece of gear. I found the best sound from "studio/direct" mode, which is what I was expecting given the FRFR capability of the amp. I haven't spent a lot of time balancing the output of my patches on the bean, so output levels were all over the board, but I was able to get plenty of volume from my Amplifi 75 with the amp and master volumes in their typical settings (somewhere between 50 and 95%).

I don't know if I'd ever gig with the amp in this configuration, although one certainly could. I'm not crazy about the input being a 1/8" jack because of my own hang-ups, but it works fine and sounds good. I still find the greatest value of the Amplifi to be the fact that I can plug in a single cable and be able to practice without setting up other things - plug and play. I'm sticking with the bean and Tech 21 Power Engine 60 for playing out, but around the house it's Amplifi. I also find myself using the Bluetooth capabilities a lot.

It's a nice, good-looking, pretty darn good-sounding piece of gear. Is it the answer to all of my amplifier needs? No, but it does what I think it was designed for reasonably well, so I'm happy with it. I find myself plugging in more often because it's so easy to do, and that's a good thing.

Just to drop in another thought, I wouldn't hang an adapter right at the input jack. Invest in the correct cable to go to whichever connector you need or put the adapter on the other end.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen.  I have the amplifi 75 and the pod Hd400.   I also have the fvb mkII EXPRESS pedal.   Here is the dilema...  should I use the pod hd thru the aux in on amplifi, (this would allow me to turn effects on and off, have 128 presets and a looper)  or trade the express pedal for the  fvb shortboard?  With this I could draw power from the amp instead of a wall socket... but I would give up the looper too.

Is this splitting hairs, or is there a real benifit to one over the other?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I know the topic is old but there is one behaviour not mentioned here. When the external modelling effect is connected into auxiliary input then these mid/high stereo drivers can be overloaded. I clearly hear that they go into overdrive (very unpleasant overdrive), especialy at high volumes. This does not happen when POD HD is conected into guitar input (Direct Studio mode - this 8 inch speaker has quite wide spectrum of playable frequencies). 

Generally - Amplifi can be used as external wide range speaker for external modelling effects but with strongly reduced output power.