Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output : XLR and Amp

fbordes

Hello,
For a live use, in order to be able to benefit at the same time from its amp in return, and at the same time of a direct connection towards the sound system.
Is it possible to use the "4 cables" method with a direct connection to the sound system?
The 4 cables method allows to insert some effects in the loop of the amp (without the amp and cabinet simulations)
The direct connection allowing to have the effects and the amp and cabinet simulations.

Thank you for your feedback, I did not find any information on this "combined" connection.
If it is possible, would it be possible to have a picture of the 2 channels?

Thank you in advance for your help 

After your last effect, place a SEND Block and use that SEND for your amp return instead of the MAIN L/MONO OUT.

Place your cab/IR Block after the SEND, and set the main Path Output Block to XLR. That goes to FOH.

So, the end of your signal chain is LAST EFFECT>Send Block (to amp return)>CAB/IR> Output Block set to XLR (to FOH).

I'm out of storage space and don't have any pictures I want to delete, or I'd include a screenshot.

• Like 1

You can also separate the Paths with a split after your last effect, put the Cab/IR in the lower (B) path, then pull down the mixer block to create two output blocks.

You use Path A for the typical 4cm - Main L/MONO Out to amp, Path B Output block set to XLR for FOH.

The advantage of the first method is that you still have the split available for running parallel effects.

This forum only allows a very small space for storing images, and I'm currently full. That's why no screenshot.

Just try it. Takes 2 minutes to set up.

• Like 1

Attached is a screenshot and preset example.

In the screenshot, I've combined both methods, one on Path 1 and the other on Path 2.

In the preset and following description, my choice of FX Loops and SEND are purely logistical, to simplify switching the cables between examples, and because since I'd used FX Loop1 in Path1, I needed to use FX Loop 3 in Path2. I've also muted the unused Outs in each example.

The Snapshots:

Snapshots 1 and 2 - Cables - FX Loop1, SEND4 to Amp FX Return, XLR L/Mono Out to FOH 

1) P1 HX Amp - The HX AMP is ON, FX Loop OFF.

2) P1 RealAmp - The HX AMP is OFF, FX Loop ON. This is normal 4cm except you're taking SEND4 to the Amp FX Return.

Snapshots 3 and 4 - Cables - FX Loop3, 1/4" Mono Out to Amp FX Return, XLR L/Mono Out to FOH

3) P2 HX Amp - The HX AMP is ON, FX Loop OFF.

4) P2 RealAmp - The HX AMP is OFF, FX Loop ON.

IMO, the Path1 example is the superior method, as it allows you to run parallel FX.

Hope this helps.

fbordes.thumb.png.c55887a7a4be99921ebfe0ed06321b2c.png

fbordes.hlx

My examples only use two FX Loops, and not at the same time. I used FX Loop 3 in the example because it's easier to deal with the cables, as the pairs are next to each other vs above/below. I could have just as effectively used FX Loop 2.

Also, you don't have to use my example preset. Just use it to learn how it's done, then roll your own!

I don't totally picture your exact setup but if you use multi out, you could use the 1/4" outputs for the amp and XLR on mic level for the FOH. You can then set it up so the Master Volume on the knob only controls the 1/4" outputs so you can adjust the 1/4"ouputs there but the XLR's will remain at the same level.

54 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I don't totally picture your exact setup but if you use multi out, you could use the 1/4" outputs for the amp and XLR on mic level for the FOH. You can then set it up so the Master Volume on the knob only controls the 1/4" outputs so you can adjust the 1/4"ouputs there but the XLR's will remain at the same level.

He's using an amp in 4cm onstage, and wanting an IR for FOH. That's why the separate outs.