Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

QSC K12 vs K10 with Helix - Major difference?

sctwoodworks

Unless you have ears like a bat I doubt you or anyone else could seriously tell the difference between the two as far as tone or even loudness.  However, coverage might be a different matter.  I was using a QSC CP8 for a while and went to a K.10 as my monitor and there was a big difference as far as the overall presence or "size" of the sound at the same volume level.  That made a big difference in how well I heard it on stage.  I will say the K10.2 that I use now is maybe the best stage monitor I've ever used, and I'm comparing that to Yamaha DXR12's that everyone else in the band uses as their stage monitors.  But that's really due to the difference in how QSC tends to be more "in your face" with it's tones than does the Yamaha which is a bit more musical.  In my case my K10 is a dedicated floor monitor.  in the case of the Yamaha DXR12,  those are shared monitors.  For that reason alone based on my experience I might recommend the K12.2 if you're talking about shared monitors.

18 hours ago, sctwoodworks said:

We are discussing a monitor upgrade at church and tossing around the idea of either K12's or K10's. I'm currently building patches off a K12 (at home) will there be a noticeable difference in the tones through a K10? 

What experiences can y'all share? 

We guitar players can be pretty self indulgent at times :) 

IMO..... worry more about what the PEOPLE will hear than what YOU ALONE will enjoy! 

More to the point! If the sound varies a little for you through a monitor, who cares. All those people in the crowd/congregation will still hear the same thing through the FOH. 

14 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Unless you have ears like a bat I doubt you or anyone else could seriously tell the difference between the two as far as tone or even loudness.  However, coverage might be a different matter.  I was using a QSC CP8 for a while and went to a K.10 as my monitor and there was a big difference as far as the overall presence or "size" of the sound at the same volume level.  That made a big difference in how well I heard it on stage.  I will say the K10.2 that I use now is maybe the best stage monitor I've ever used, and I'm comparing that to Yamaha DXR12's that everyone else in the band uses as their stage monitors.  But that's really due to the difference in how QSC tends to be more "in your face" with it's tones than does the Yamaha which is a bit more musical.  In my case my K10 is a dedicated floor monitor.  in the case of the Yamaha DXR12,  those are shared monitors.  For that reason alone based on my experience I might recommend the K12.2 if you're talking about shared monitors.

Thank you for the insight. Yes, we are on shared monitors so that is definitely helpful. We'll have 4 wedges with 3 mixes total (Director (keys) #1, vocalists/acoustic guitar #2, myself/bass/drums on 3rd mix with wedges #3 & 4) 

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

We guitar players can be pretty self indulgent at times :) 

IMO..... worry more about what the PEOPLE will hear than what YOU ALONE will enjoy! 

More to the point! If the sound varies a little for you through a monitor, who cares. All those people in the crowd/congregation will still hear the same thing through the FOH. 

Ha, that is true... I do agree with you I was just trying to gauge if there would be drastic changes.

I'm only on twice a month so it took a while bouncing between weeks off and on to get things dialed in... But, I do have a couple different amps (and various "rigs" built around those) set pretty much how I like them.  Hoping that having similar units on the stage will speed things up going from home to stage, if that makes sense.