Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt50 1x12 - Running 1x12 And 2x12 Possible?

paulpinos

I have a DT50 112 combo and I'd like to be able to run an additional 2x12 cab in conjunction with my 1x12 spearker. Is this possible? If so, what should the ohms be for the 2x12 and what outputs should I be using (A, B or C) on the back of my amp? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1

I have been running that exact setup with my DT50 since before they were released to the public and my SV MK1 and MK2 amplifiers also (both are 112 combos)....

To do it, you need to reload the DT50 with a 16 ohm speaker and your 2x12 should also be loaded with 16 ohm speakers in parallel...The 8 ohm cab and 16 ohm internal in parallel make for a 5.3 ohm total load...just fine for the 4 ohm tap. I am using Jenson Jet Tornados...

• Upvote 1

Isn't the internal speaker 8 ohms? Two 16 ohm speakers in a cabinet wired in parallel plugged into the second 8 ohm jack should get you there.

Been there. done that...Sure, that functions...But it did not work well for me at all...You will hardly hear, much less feel, the cab because the internal speaker will be doing most of the work...I think you meant "the second 4 ohm jack"...anyhoo...That is why I suggest you replace the DT50 internal speaker with a 16 ohm...You could use all 8 ohm speakers, but then you have to put an Autoformer in the speakerline to double the load (2.15 ohms) to a more acceptable 5.3 ohms...I did that with my SV MK1...works fine and the cone volumes are balanced.

The problem with that approach is that the internal speaker gets 50% of the power and the two speakers in the cab get 25% each...The difference in cone volume is very apparent if you use speakers with the same SPL rating....However, if you choose cab speakers that have about a +3 db advantage the volume balances out a little better...What you will find if you ever actually try this is that having an internal speaker with slightly less volume than the cab speakers sounds and feels better when you are standing in front of it....If you have half the power going to the internal, then the cab does nothing and since the combo is generally closer to your ears you will wonder if the cab is doing anything at all...

• Upvote 1

Hence the second post about the 4 ohm jack. Anyhoo... All your points are valid, but I didn't see him ask for SPL comparisons, volume mismatches based on double the speaker area getting half the power or any other extemporaneous pontifications. He asked if he could use a 2x12 cab in tandem with the internal speaker. I merely gave him a less expensive and simpler solution. Kudos to both of us! Win/win!

For the record, there are less expensive and better quality cabs available. You may want to ask around.

Thanks, that was helpful. So the easiest thing would be just getting the additional 1x12 (dt25 cab) and call it good... for now :)