Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New helix on way what first?

johneric8

Hello my friends.. I'm an experienced guitarist but have always been a tube amp purist..  Mostly Marshal JMP's and Riveras..     Anyway,   I sold all of my gear and a helix is on the way and I was wondering if you guys would be so kind to tell me what to do first and in what order?    I like a vast variety of tones but my plan is to mess with the stock sounds first to get my feel for stuff before I start diving into IR's and the marketplace.  My goal is to design tones and snapshots for each song individually at some point,  but I know I will be overwhelmed at first even though I've been readying the manual online.

What order should I download the line 6 updater and hxedit program's in?  I keep hearing how some people have issues if they don't download the certain software first so I'm trying to avoid any issues for my clean install...

Any advice or things you wish you knew when you started I'm all ears and will bookmark this thread.  I really appreciate everyone!

Hi

it wont matter what order you down load.  Check the version of HXEdit - but if its a new download you should have the latest version.  In most cases that's all you need as it will do the rest for you...I havent used the updater for a couple of years.  HXEdit will check your Helix version and tell you if there is a later update.  It will also guide you through the backup process - .

There seem to be some very rare cases where people have needed the updater to fix some issue but its very unlikely.

My number one advice....read the manual- its on the USB stick that comes with the Helix but its worth going to the manual download and checking you have the lasted version.  Start with the basics but get comfortable finding your way around the manual.  It never lies!

• Like 1

As well as reading the manual 2 suggestions:

• try to reset your expectations to hearing a recorded amp sound - that's effectively what Helix is providing effects etc and a mic'd up amp like in a studio and represents a real leap for lots of guitarists
  • Check out someone like Jason Sadites on youtube with his creating a great tone https://www.youtube.com/c/JasonSadites

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johneric8 said:

What order should I download the line 6 updater and hxedit program's in?  I keep hearing how some people have issues if they don't download the certain software first so I'm trying to avoid any issues for my clean install...

Hi,

Read, study, and follow the information given in the release notes in this link and it should be a trouble free experience.

As you are coming from a “tube amp purist” background, please be aware that you will not be getting the trouser flapping effect of standing in front of a smoking Marshall stack on stage. It is more like listening to a fully produced guitar tone while sitting in the control room of a really well equipped recording studio. Prepare to be amazed and remember “All Presets Suck” (quote from Digital Igloo - Eric Klein, Chief Product Design Architect, YGG/Line6/Ampeg). Prepare to create your own for the best possible result.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lawrence_Arps said:

Hi

it wont matter what order you down load.  Check the version of HXEdit - but if its a new download you should have the latest version.  In most cases that's all you need as it will do the rest for you...I havent used the updater for a couple of years.  HXEdit will check your Helix version and tell you if there is a later update.  It will also guide you through the backup process - .

There seem to be some very rare cases where people have needed the updater to fix some issue but its very unlikely.

My number one advice....read the manual- its on the USB stick that comes with the Helix but its worth going to the manual download and checking you have the lasted version.  Start with the basics but get comfortable finding your way around the manual.  It never lies!

Appreciate it,  I just didn't want to get stuck trying to get it setup...

1 hour ago, waymda said:

As well as reading the manual 2 suggestions:

• try to reset your expectations to hearing a recorded amp sound - that's effectively what Helix is providing effects etc and a mic'd up amp like in a studio and represents a real leap for lots of guitarists
  • Check out someone like Jason Sadites on youtube with his creating a great tone https://www.youtube.com/c/JasonSadites

thanks man,  I've already looked at tons of videos so I know my way around the unit to a degree and understand how the chain works,  but I know the possibilities are endless so I'm excited.   You made a great point in terms of standing in front of a stack,  because you're right,   it's easy to get seduced by those tubes being pushed through the cab,  but I'm past all of that and looking to really get creative with dialing in sounds for my songs.  This is why I knew the helix would be for me quite honestly...     I have avoided going to amp sims for a long time,  but now is the time for me and I'm ready and not looking back..  

Hi - a brave move!

Depending on what it is you get form a big amp, you probably need to be thinking about how you will be hearing the Helix.

Be aware, there is a big difference between hearing a good Marshall sim at conversation level and at 100db!

Also check out the Fletcher Munson effect - your tone that sounds great at low level is all boom and harsh highs at high levels.

So be sure you can monitor at a level you can relate too - or use different variants of the same tone for quiet and band level situations.

So just be aware in general that you need to expect to deal with stuff that a sound guy/engineer would normally be doing as you are now controlling a simulation of an amp and a speaker cab mic'd with a certain mic. 

None of this means you will be worse off in any way.  I don't miss the amp in the room at all because I'm hearing studio quality guitar sounds.

At stage level, I can still play the feedback etc - obviously a bit less so at home level.

Expect to need to adjust this totally HiFi device to be limited to a guitar amp frequency where it's needed - so you might want pristine delays requiring a bit more frequency range, but you want a cab sound that is not harsh - and that means high and low cuts at a minimum - very possibly a full EQ just after/before your cab.  The short message here is any distortion sounds really bad if you have a pile of high frequencies - and guitar amps and speakers have very limited frequency response - and our ears like exactly that!

You will have lots of experience of pedals. If you have your amp sim set up well, the pedals do exactly what you expect.  If they don't (you hear all the time - I added a fuzz and it sounds terrible - that is a clear indication of the amp not set up well (or you just hate fuzz!!).

So My advice is not to get too involved with the presets that come with the Helix - use them for a reference by all means - but if you learn to use the unit, you will never use them for anything more.

Start at the basics - start with an amp and a cab you know how it should sound.  Learn to make it sound like it should.

When you get that the rest is just pedals you mostly know anyhow.  You might have to figure out the "wiring" sometimes - so definitely learn how to use the full set of paths in the Helix - but if you can take an amp that's sounding good - you are 90% done.

Learn to backup!  You can take any risk you like if you know you can always go back!

Snapshots are great - but I've found trying to have a preset for every song is a bit extreme and leaves you a bit tied up when you need/want to improvise.

Generally think in rigs - so I have 2 Marshall rigs (presets) - with 8 snapshots each - that covers every case of a Marshall sound I need - there are flangers and chorus, delay and reverb settings within that that do 15 songs.  I have 2 Fenderish rigs for clean and tube screamer driven sounds with a batch of pedals again - does all the clean to driven stuff except.......

The Vox rigs - that do cleanish jangle to driven Vox sounds.  Then I have a few others that are for songs that need something more specific or unique.  Done!

Not that I actually use a Vox for both presets - it's just that sonic territory.  Same goes for Marshalls - Friedman might be one of your Marshalls and if you are a Marshall man, you might need an extra Marshall based rig or 2..........  My point is you may well be able to keep this down to 8 rigs - which means you can get to rig with an absolute minimum of tap dancing.

Worth thinking about?

2 pages of presets absolute tops I recon!

Anyhow, be patient - expect it to take a little time. 

There will be some frustration.......Youtube videos will help a lot - but by time you have a handle on this thing you will find you disagree as often as you agree with them.  They aren't gods - some of them are just a month ahead of you!

When you know what you are doing, you won't use the marketplace - I bet. (except maybe IRs) You've got all that experience of the real world and it does translate - when you know what you are doing.

So like I said - start with an amp and cab - if you can get an amp and a cab sounding good - especially one that's just lightly driven - you will be on your way.

• Like 3

I don't know if this will help but the way I avoided being overwhelmed is to try and pretend I had the keys to the Line 6 music store. I wouldn't just spend 10 minutes on an amp. it would probably be an hour before I looked up and realized how much time I had been playing through it. To start with,  the amps and effects are modeled to reflect the way the knobs on the physical devices react so just pick an amp and work with that for awhile. Just like you would if you were in a music store. Try and squeeze as much as you can out of it. Now add an effect. Just one. Like the good old days when you only could afford one amp and one effect. This thinking helped me to stop being so overwhelmed by all of the choices. Even so, I still am every now and then. I had a tendency to just start going through amps/effects without really working with each of them as I would normally. Like I used to do when I didn't have this kind of selection. But, rifling quickly through a bunch amps and effects can be fun too. Like running around in a store and plugging into a different amp or effect every 15 minutes. Fun and certainly don't avoid doing it but spending time with each thing like you just bought it and want to hear everything it does helped me a lot. With a healthy dose of zipping through everything just for fun. Also, if you are trying to find a certain sound you hear from an artist, find out what amps/effects/guitar the artist used and start with that. The older modelling didn't do this very well but this level of modelling does. Breathe by Pink Floyd? Strat, Hiwatt and a univibe. Wow, pretty darn close without tweaking. It doesn't always work so don't get too discouraged if something isn't quite clicking. Good luck and have fun!!

15 hours ago, rvroberts said:

Hi - a brave move!

Depending on what it is you get form a big amp, you probably need to be thinking about how you will be hearing the Helix.

Be aware, there is a big difference between hearing a good Marshall sim at conversation level and at 100db!

Also check out the Fletcher Munson effect - your tone that sounds great at low level is all boom and harsh highs at high levels.

So be sure you can monitor at a level you can relate too - or use different variants of the same tone for quiet and band level situations.

So just be aware in general that you need to expect to deal with stuff that a sound guy/engineer would normally be doing as you are now controlling a simulation of an amp and a speaker cab mic'd with a certain mic. 

None of this means you will be worse off in any way.  I don't miss the amp in the room at all because I'm hearing studio quality guitar sounds.

At stage level, I can still play the feedback etc - obviously a bit less so at home level.

Expect to need to adjust this totally HiFi device to be limited to a guitar amp frequency where it's needed - so you might want pristine delays requiring a bit more frequency range, but you want a cab sound that is not harsh - and that means high and low cuts at a minimum - very possibly a full EQ just after/before your cab.  The short message here is any distortion sounds really bad if you have a pile of high frequencies - and guitar amps and speakers have very limited frequency response - and our ears like exactly that!

You will have lots of experience of pedals. If you have your amp sim set up well, the pedals do exactly what you expect.  If they don't (you hear all the time - I added a fuzz and it sounds terrible - that is a clear indication of the amp not set up well (or you just hate fuzz!!).

So My advice is not to get too involved with the presets that come with the Helix - use them for a reference by all means - but if you learn to use the unit, you will never use them for anything more.

Start at the basics - start with an amp and a cab you know how it should sound.  Learn to make it sound like it should.

When you get that the rest is just pedals you mostly know anyhow.  You might have to figure out the "wiring" sometimes - so definitely learn how to use the full set of paths in the Helix - but if you can take an amp that's sounding good - you are 90% done.

Learn to backup!  You can take any risk you like if you know you can always go back!

Snapshots are great - but I've found trying to have a preset for every song is a bit extreme and leaves you a bit tied up when you need/want to improvise.

Generally think in rigs - so I have 2 Marshall rigs (presets) - with 8 snapshots each - that covers every case of a Marshall sound I need - there are flangers and chorus, delay and reverb settings within that that do 15 songs.  I have 2 Fenderish rigs for clean and tube screamer driven sounds with a batch of pedals again - does all the clean to driven stuff except.......

The Vox rigs - that do cleanish jangle to driven Vox sounds.  Then I have a few others that are for songs that need something more specific or unique.  Done!

Not that I actually use a Vox for both presets - it's just that sonic territory.  Same goes for Marshalls - Friedman might be one of your Marshalls and if you are a Marshall man, you might need an extra Marshall based rig or 2..........  My point is you may well be able to keep this down to 8 rigs - which means you can get to rig with an absolute minimum of tap dancing.

Worth thinking about?

There will be some frustration.......Youtube videos will help a lot - but by time you have a handle on this thing you will find you disagree as often as you agree with them.  They aren't gods - some of them are just a month ahead of you!

When you know what you are doing, you won't use the marketplace - I bet. (except maybe IRs) You've got all that experience of the real world and it does translate - when you know what you are doing.

So like I said - start with an amp and cab - if you can get an amp and a cab sounding good - especially one that's just lightly driven - you will be on your way.

Thanks so much for the taking the time to help me!  Yes I'm a bit overwhelmed but I also know that I'm dedicated to getting the best I can out of the unit like I am with everything else..  I'll be honest,  I'm excited,  I'm honestly not looking back at this point.   I've seen so many great touring bands using  even the podhd and sounding better than most tube amps so I know what these things can do.   I love dialing in tones,  and I'm fully aware at how different things sound from low to high volumes as this applies to my last am the 6505+.

I love all of your feedback and especially your advice on just working on an amp!   This is great and sound advice and I will do that...   I do want to ask you one question on something I'm very confused about though if you don't mind?   I notice on the signal chain sometimes people will split the chain and put another block directly under another one.   It was explained to me that this is great for possibly keeping a delay clean within a reverb,  but I guess I don't understand how it all translates.   Or,  I see two speaker cabs on top of each other.  I'm just not wrapping my head around this yet..    Just to be clear I'm talking about the first signal path line allowing for another block under it on same line..  I will admit to having a hard time understanding this because I'm still waiting on my unit to arrive tomorrow.      If you or anyone can explain in simple terms why it's important to stack within same signal chain?
I attached a photo and highlighted in yellow..  Any clear explanation will be greatly appreciated by me.

Helix-large.jpg

1 hour ago, jester700 said:

That was very helpful now it makes sense...   So what it does is process different signals like a clean amp and a dirty tone together where you retain each characteristic without muddying it up?   It seems like there would be a million cool ways to use it,  but I really like the idea of mixing a clean amp with dist among many other things.  thanks again!

One of the setups I used live was a Rivera m60 and a VOX ac30 running at same time.   I would delay the vox a few milliseconds from the rivera and my sound was HUGE on stage,  but this was back before we had all of these cool new amp modelers.   Much appreciated Jester,  thanks..

1. Download and install the latest HX edit software for your Mac/PC before connecting the Helix. Let it install all of the related drivers, etc.

2. Hook up your Helix to the Mac/PC and install any updates it detects for your device.

3. Do a full factory reset of the Helix after installing the updates. Look at the 3.11 release notes for instructions.

Good luck!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, j_hotch said:

1. Download and install the latest HX edit software for your Mac/PC before connecting the Helix. Let it install all of the related drivers, etc.

2. Hook up your Helix to the Mac/PC and install any updates it detects for your device.

3. Do a full factory reset of the Helix after installing the updates. Look at the 3.11 release notes for instructions.

Good luck!

I have to say that I've never heard of doing a factory reset on a brand new machine?  I am getting in new in the box tomorrow are you sure your advice applies to me?

22 minutes ago, johneric8 said:

I am getting in new in the box tomorrow are you sure your advice applies to me?

It certainly does if you read, study, and follow the information given in the release notes in the link which I posted earlier above.

Especially the section which states:

Anything else I should know?

Yes. We STRONGLY recommend performing a factory reset AFTER UPDATING your Helix/HX firmware to 3.11 and THEN RESTORING YOUR BACKUP. (Backing up is part of the update process). Here's how to perform a factory reset. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP FIRST, AS A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL YOUR WORK!

• Helix Floor/LT: While holding footswitches 9 & 10 (bottom row, 2 middle switches), turn on Helix Floor/LT
  • Helix Rack: While holding knobs 5 & 6 (2 furthest right knobs below the screen), turn on Helix Rack
  • HX Effects: While holding footswitches 6 & TAP (2 farthest right switches on the bottom row), turn on HX Effects
  • HX Stomp: While holding footswitches 2 & 3, turn on HX Stomp
  • HX Stomp XL: While holding footswitches C & D, turn on HX Stomp

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johneric8 said:

If you or anyone can explain in simple terms why it's important to stack within same signal chain?

Hey johneric8 -
Take a look at this Learning with Line 6 YT video.
It explains Signal Chain Flow.
It helped me understand things better in this regard.
  • Like 1

Regarding the extra or parallel path….

You need to use a splitter- think of it as a y cable with mixing capabilities ( a 2 channel mixer) and you can control that mix with snapshots if you like so it can be a switch or a mix. 
What most of us use this for is things like dual cabs. So you can have a cab of greenbacks and a cab of V30s with different mics. Next step up might be a delay or other processing on each cab. 
Also, it’s a place to put extra pedals when you fill the path and you just need another pedal!  Be careful with that mixing capability though, I can’t tell you how often you read some post like “my x pedal seems to be leaking into my clean tone”. If you don’t set the mix on the extra path, anything might be happening!  
Unfortunately, dual amps tend to be not something you mostly can do on a parallel path as you tend to run out of DSP, so most dual amp rigs will use both paths. And that can get a bit tricky where you might be forced to run double pedals so you can feed say chorus to both amps. It’s fine for wet/dry rigs, but if you want say 5 pedals feeding 2 different amps, it can tie you in the odd logistical knot!

So there are limitations, still there are a huge range of options!!

Subtle effects like mixing 2 chorus effects are also possible but often putting the 2 pedals on one path and using the pedal mix, can get hard to tell the difference- until you add the idea of stereo!!

My other advise- don’t get too lost in this stuff- playing music is the final aim, not disappearing into tweaker land!

17 hours ago, Hey_Joe said:

Hey johneric8 -
Take a look at this Learning with Line 6 YT video.
It explains Signal Chain Flow.
It helped me understand things better in this regard.

This was exactly what I needed..   It's basically splitting the signal path which gives you lots of options...   Love the idea of running two cabs as well this way since this is what I typically did with my rig.   The delay path directly into a reverb also can be muddy so splitting it up gives some flexibility for sure..   Thanks for the video,  I saved it for future reference as well.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:31 PM, rvroberts said:

Hi - a brave move!

Worth thinking about?

just wanted to say.... what a great post!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arislaf said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k4d9xc5jjdvq2b6/AADTNr48c9RZ_x6X9JaOMX5Oa?dl=0

Download these for start. It is all amps with snapshots and custom irs , from clean to distortion 

Thanks brother..  Are these yours or just collected?   I just got unit and figuring out basic stuff at moment but I will try and figure out how to put the IR's in as well,  but I'll admit to not sure how to do it yet..    If I don't use an input pad on my guitar with EMG's  how do I find the input level meter to be sure it's not too hot?

9 minutes ago, johneric8 said:

…..  how do I find the input level meter to be sure it's not too hot?

From the manual (as of firmware v3.0):

“For path Input and Output blocks - These blocks display with a green fill to indicate a signal is present and a red fill if the signal is too hot. If clipping is indicated you should reduce the signal level before and/or at the red indicated Input/Output block.”

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, johneric8 said:

Thanks brother..  Are these yours or just collected?   I just got unit and figuring out basic stuff at moment but I will try and figure out how to put the IR's in as well,  but I'll admit to not sure how to do it yet..    If I don't use an input pad on my guitar with EMG's  how do I find the input level meter to be sure it's not too hot?

Mine mate. Hope you will like them. To put the ir open helix edit at your pc, go to the IR tab, and drag and drop them. The other question already answered by silverhead. For my presets are mostly for studio recording sounds not for live, due to the use of reverb and double tracker, and extreme compression.

• Like 1

Hi Me again

With respect to others who have given advice - we are all different in our needs.

You have not indicated a particular genre nor a fixation on a particular artists sound.  That bodes well for your mental health ;-)

I do not recommend downloading other peoples patches YET.  Warning - the advice below will be rubbished by lots of people.

First listen through to the basic amp factory presets - not the song or artist ones.  Every single one of these should be usable as they are.  maybe not perfect or exactly the tone of groupie rubbed grill cloth dipped in nicotine that you think a particular speaker cabinet might be.....but usable.  If these are not there is some issue with your monitoring. If so get that sorted.

Assuming that all goes fine, start with a empty patch and pick one amp that is vaguely close to something you might be familiar with...same with a cab....play around with the amp tone controls for a while....maybe an hour or so as you acclimatise to the tone....Maybe try one or two variations on cabinet....and one or two variations on mics.  the STOP.  Go to bed, watch a movie, go for a run.
Repeat, repeat.

After a few sessions try adding your favourite effect - for most this may be a drive.  Start with something obvious. Same with some ambiance - a plate or spring  reverb.

then learn to switch to stomp mode and assign stomp switches.
Then learn to save patches...

then learn to set up snapshots...

By thus time I am assuming you have done 20 plus hours on a few basic settings.

Then try something more ambitious.

If you really must try to copy another artists tone, start by researching the gear they used and set up a close match in Helix.....and spend a few hours playing with that.

only now ...say 50 hours in would I consider there may be some value in considering downloading someone elses patches to see how they have created tones.   - the point is that by now you will have enough basic familiarity to be able to analyse their patch and understand why it sounds the way it does. Full disclosure...I have never downloaded another persons patch - probably never will.

I cannot imagine any value in getting into IRs in the first 100 hours of Helix (unless you are an experienced studio engineer).  If moving a tone control on your amp a millimeter is audible to you then by all means try some IRs.  In my third year of Helix I tried a few....Ive stopped using them....(btw Im an experienced engineer) I use a powercab and the built in speaker models.

My last advice to to try to limit the number of patches you have.
If you are in a tribute band then a patch per song makes sense.  If not then less is probably smart.
I have settled on 5 Rhythm patches and 5 Solo patches set up in 1 path with patch spillover activated. and in 10 stomp mode with 10 patches always available.......and I havent felt a need to change these for months.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

This is arguably the most accurate statement ever made around here...;)

I can see the unit being something easily obsessed over.   I learned while working for big hitters that sitting in a certain frequency pocket is where I need to be more so than worrying over tone so much.  At this point I need some good clean and overdriven sounds that are more accessories to good tunes as opposed to guitar hero stuff.    What I'm excited about is finding a few good amps and some effects for certain parts of tunes.   I know this is going to be a learning experience for me shifting completely away from amps but it's time for sure.

I was signed to sony with back in 03 in my group...  If you guys are interested in the broad spectrum of my journey I will post some links.  The video was a couple of years ago,  but the tune on soundclick was from like 2003..   My son is now just singing and is 17 and were doing more alternative now since his style has changed and that is right up my alley...   Honestly though,  I'm looking for just some good round clean and rock sounds at this point.   thanks everyone for your help!

This was the band that was signed and toured everywhere..   https://soundclick.com/r/s74rfo

This is the band I put together before covid hit-   My son was 14 and an incredible talented singer.  I'ts more of a screamo type band,  but I'm a versatile writer.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, silverhead said:

From the manual (as of firmware v3.0):

“For path Input and Output blocks - These blocks display with a green fill to indicate a signal is present and a red fill if the signal is too hot. If clipping is indicated you should reduce the signal level before and/or at the red indicated Input/Output block.”

Thanks for this,   I know this is in the manual but there is no way I could sit down and just read the whole thing because of my ADD I wouldn't retain much of it...   So far so good,  my EMG's aren't clipping at all as far as I can soo.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:33 PM, arislaf said:

Mine mate. Hope you will like them. To put the ir open helix edit at your pc, go to the IR tab, and drag and drop them. The other question already answered by silverhead. For my presets are mostly for studio recording sounds not for live, due to the use of reverb and double tracker, and extreme compression.

I downloaded all of your stuff and I must say that I was in love with the Vox stuff you had,  reminded of early oasis..     I'm pleased to say the IR's were easy as well,  but I have a question for you brother...   I know you said that that stuff you shared with me was your presets and I'm thankful you shared this with me,  but since you crafted for live,   what sort of tweaks would need to be made on some of these to be suitable?  Is it more about the effects and compression than EQ?   I found myself getting lost in the Vox preset you had and found it close to being very suitable for a few of my tunes..    Just for the record,  I love good guitar tones,  but I'm more of a songwriter whom focuses on the production of songs as opposed to being overly anal about tones..  Heck,   I made it with my band using a stock rivera and a cabtone and marshall 4x12 (back in 04 mind you)

On 9/17/2021 at 7:14 PM, johneric8 said:

I downloaded all of your stuff and I must say that I was in love with the Vox stuff you had,  reminded of early oasis..     I'm pleased to say the IR's were easy as well,  but I have a question for you brother...   I know you said that that stuff you shared with me was your presets and I'm thankful you shared this with me,  but since you crafted for live,   what sort of tweaks would need to be made on some of these to be suitable?  Is it more about the effects and compression than EQ?   I found myself getting lost in the Vox preset you had and found it close to being very suitable for a few of my tunes..    Just for the record,  I love good guitar tones,  but I'm more of a songwriter whom focuses on the production of songs as opposed to being overly anal about tones..  Heck,   I made it with my band using a stock rivera and a cabtone and marshall 4x12 (back in 04 mind you)

Welcome mate and i am happy you found something you enjoyed! As you said, it is more of effects since the compresion at the end of the chain should at least change from limit to compression, and reduce the threshold. The double tracker should be turned off, as well as the reverb. This is for the effects, the rest is eq.... 

Besides watching videos how to build presets/snapshots, and all that, I recommend the following purchases... (unless you already have it)... and sorry if it's been mentioned before, but....

1. good studio monitors that you can use to dial in your sounds.  Without them, you risk showing up to a gig with unusable sounds. 

2. Headrush 108, or any other FRFR.  I love this FRFR.  It is plenty of sound for stage volume, or even a small gig/rehearsal.  It works for bass too.  The only caveat with this speaker is that it needs to be put on a stand or on something so it's lifted off the floor to sound right.  Otherwise it's too boomy and you'll need to EQ it.  Once you dial in your sound/EQ, this thing sounds and feels as good as your old-school combo does.  I always have it in my car's trunk and have used it quite a few times.  So light, and so powerful, it's awesome.  I played last weekend on a small stage at the outdoor festival, and the sound guy said there was plenty of sound coming from it, that he didn't even need to add my sound to the PA.