Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beatles Vox Tone.

titchyblackcat

13 hours ago, titchyblackcat said:

Thanks, most of them are for variax so, i thought i'd try and make one of my own.

You can just change the input to your non Variax guitar and use the signal chain as is.
It should work just fine unless the Variax has parameter assignments to control any blocks in the CustomTone preset(s).

10 hours ago, Hey_Joe said:
You can just change the input to your non Variax guitar and use the signal chain as is.
It should work just fine unless the Variax has parameter assignments to control any blocks in the CustomTone preset(s).

I tried that and the presets sound awful.

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

If I were looking to replicate those tones I'd reach for the AC30 Fawn Normal... 

Thanks, Ill try that first.

Helix can only get you so far.

Many times it's the guitar that gets you that last 15% to 20%  of the way to the tone you're after.

In this case that would mean a Rickenbacker 3 series.

I find it's the same with Mike Campbell  (Tom Petty).  I've got a pretty good Petty preset but it definitely works better with the Ric.

Assuming you don't have a Ric, maybe try a Tele?  See if that can help?  It won't be perfect but it will be better than a Strat or Les Paul.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MGW-Alberta said:

Many times it's the guitar that gets you that last 15% to 20%  of the way to the tone you're after.

In this case that would mean a Rickenbacker 3 series.

I was going to suggest a Gretsch for many of George's sounds... but I agree fully, the guitar choice is very important and a typical Strat or Les Paul will not be as convincing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

I was going to suggest a Gretsch for many of George's sounds... but I agree fully, the guitar choice is very important and a typical Strat or Les Paul will not be as convincing. 

I'm a much bigger Petty fan than I ever was a Beatles fan.  You could very well be right about the Gretsch.  I recall seeing George playing a Pac-Man guitar on TV and that's why I said that.

My own Ric is a 6 series and it is very good at doing a convincing Campbell sound.

• Like 2