Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix USB won't connect to Windows 10 or HX Edit

rockmancentral

So, I bought this Helix since I have 2 JTV-59's and a JTV-89F, but I can not get it to connect to my Windows 10 machine that has my DAW on it.  Sometimes Windows will beep when I plug in the USB, but most of the time it won't.  When I launch HX Edit, it will try to connect, and it even seem like it has connected, but then it'll drop it with an error message that usually says, "Failed to get favorite names.  Service is not online. [ code -8207]"  Down below it says, "Connection Interrupted".  If I hit Reconnect, it just comes back after a few seconds and says, "No device connected".

I've tried 3 different USB cables, I've tried both USB ports on the front of my computer as well as ports on the rear of my computer.  I've uninstalled the software and drivers and reinstalled them several times.  I've looked at the driver properties and there are no conflicts, though a couple have events that say that the "manifest was not migrated". 

This computer has zero problems with any other hardware I've ever connected to it, USB or otherwise.  I'm a software engineer and have done desktop support professionally in my early years, and built I don't know how many computers.  I've updated Windows to the latest and same with my motherboard drivers.  I'm out of ideas on how to fix this.

I plugged this in on Saturday and put in a support ticket the same day, but I haven't heard anything back yet.  I'm on the East Coast and have tried to call in, but the support time ending at noon PST makes it difficult for me to catch support because I have to work.  I'm hoping I get a call back tomorrow or am able to get through to support to get this resolved, otherwise I'm afraid it is going back and I'll be selling the JTV's.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Sorry to hear that you are encountering these problems. As you have gone through several trouble shooting steps and you are otherwise savvy with computers, it may be that you have received a faulty Helix. It may be easier to simply exchange it with the vendor from which you bought the unit.

Otherwise, rest assured that Frank Ritchotte of Helix will get you sorted out if Tech Support/Customer Service cannot resolve your issue promptly.

Understood that your being in the East Coast Time zone is a disparity from Line 6 HQ in Pacific Time. Nonetheless, I would encourage you not to abandon hope. Do give them another shot on the telephone tomorrow as you have 3 hour head start. Line 6's Tech support and Customer Service is World Class!

As this User Support Forum is not regularly monitored by Line 6 Tech Support, you may also want to increase your odds, by also posting on the massive Line 6 Thread on The Gear Page Forums, where many users and representatives of Line 6 frequent. If you are also a member of the Line 6 Facebook group that is another place to post and reach out to Frank. He has done numerous incredible Customer Service feats for Helix users over the past several years, so your scenario may be sufficient to warrant a similar resolution.

All that being said, my recommendation would be to confirm that your Helix unit (you did not mention what unit you have) properly starts on its own, and what firmware it is running. If that's all good, I would completely scrub your computer of all Line 6 software and drivers. Then log into your Line 6 account and redownload the most current version of Helix Edit to confirm a clean full download. Then launch the software and allow it to install all the necessary drivers and components necessary. If the installation of HX Edit is successful, then exit the pgm, and connect your Helix to the primary USB port on your computer closest to the main power connection and without any other USB devices connected. Once connected power up your Helix and once it has finished bootup, then launch HX Edit.  

11 hours ago, rockmancentral said:

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Hi,

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but there has been previous discussions regarding Windows and HX Edit failing to launch. 

Check this link to see if you are suffering from the Disk ‘0’, SD Card problem.

Also this thread,

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I had this same exact problem. It wasn't until I rearranged my computer desk and began using a short 3 foot USB cable that I was able to maintain connection.  I don't pretend to understand the hows and whys.  All I know is it didn't work with the cable that came with Helix, it didn't work when I was buying multiple brand new 6 foot cables and now it does work every time with a 3 foot cable.  

I dunno.  Maybe this is your problem as well?

For those wondering, the Helix came on 3.11 and I just downloaded the Line 6 Updater and HX Edit software, so everything is on the latest versions.

I started going through all of the USB cables I have in my house (all 3 footers).  After about the 6th or 7th one, I finally found one that worked, at least for a little while.  But then it too lost the connection.  So it could be the cable, could be a driver/com conflict (unlikely), or could be a messed up USB jack on the Helix.  Not sure....

I forgot to mention that I also close all other windows whenever I am connecting Helix to HX-Edit.  I do that first.  It's been a number of years since I ran a Windows machine so I don't know if it still exists but there used to be something called a Task Manager where you could see everything that was currently running.  Try first closing anything that is not absolutely essential to running the computer and is not directly related to Helix before attempting the connection.  This app thing and the short cable thing were both suggested to me when I was seeking help.  I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the apps.  I have since learned that I don't have to disable my audio interface but that was also part of the original suggestion given to me.  The person said Helix is very selfish and doesn't like to share ... or some other words to that effect.