Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor or LT

kornea

Hello,

After testing a Helix LT for a week, I know that this is the device I need (compared to the Boss, which I also tested).

Now the question is: LT or Floor? The LT is clearly not bad but the build quality of the Floor seems to be better as well as the expression pedal. The screen strip above the footswitches also seems to be good (although I couldn't test it) and more intuitive than referring to the screen to know which snapshot corresponds to which footswitch.

After that, I'm not sure I need so many effects loops and I might use the mic input (but for recording purposes)... 

To sum up: 

Floor: build quality, expression pedal and screen strip and possibilities for mic input

LT : less expensive...

Your opinion ?

I have the Floor. Based on what you've said, I'd go for the Floor. Better to have more than you need now than find out later that you really did need it.

Many people in your situation question the value of the Scribble Strips. I did. I love them. And the higher quality expression pedal sealed the deal.

I've had my Floor for 5 years. No regrets.

• Upvote 1

One advantage of the LT over the Floor is that the virtual scribble strips are a lot easier to read in the direct sunlight.  LT is lighter in terms of weight slightly.  That's where the advantages end.  Floor is more rugged, more inputs and the actual scribble strips are amazing on a dark stage. 

I came down to this decision when I decided to get a second Helix unit as a backup to my Floor as well as being a dedicated studio unit.  I almost went for the LT, but the lack of variety and number of inputs/outputs along with a dedicated headphone volume control swayed it to get a second Floor unit.  And boy am I glad I did.  There's simply no comparison as far as versatility for integrating different things with the Floor or Rack's additional I/O and I can't count the number of times I needed it.

I had the lt for a few years, I traded it in and the floor.  The ability to have 10 stomps and the ruggedness of the floor are what made me change.  The LT was good, I just missed those extra stomps (yes, I compensated with snapshots but it wasn't the same).  The LT also seemed a little flimsy to me.  The floor is Much more rugged IMO.

Even though I own an LT and don't regret choosing it, I can't disagree with anything stated. The LT was a perfect fit for ME, but unless you know for certain it would be all you need - the floor is the safer choice.

Two things I will say about the LT....

• It's not as flimsy as some might make it out to me. I have absolutely no concerns about it's ruggedness and I do 100+ gigs a year (in normal times)
  • Don't under-estimate the power of "performance view"... something ONLY AVAILALBE on an LT. I owned an HX Effects before getting the LT and I certainly prefer Performance View over the scribble strips. (IMO of course)

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned both a couple of times. I have kept my LT because I will never need 4 FX loops or a mic pre and as another poster said, the virtual scribbles are way easier to see and not just in sunlight but overall. The expression pedal issue was fixed a long time ago. The first LT I bought had that issue but the replacement didnt.