Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Where do I start.....

jet460

Picked up a Variax today.
Came with guitar, power supply, and a footswitch.
I cannot find anything on this model on the line 6 website.

Not even a manual.

So, I put fresh batteries in it.

Plugged in a TRS cable from the guitar to the footswitch.
Plugged in a normal 1/4" mono cable from the switch to the guitar input on my Helix Floor unit.
I get no sound.
I see there is a variax cable input on the back of the helix, and what looks like an ethernet plug on the guitar.
I am stuck.
No idea what to do next.
Do I need a special cable?
Honestly, I am flying blind here.

20210915_175427.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 9:01 PM, jet460 said:

Picked up a Variax today.
Came with guitar, power supply, and a footswitch.

Guessing that you bought this 'used' - was it from a reputable dealer, online auction or private individual? Were any claims made with regard to its working condition?

I cannot find anything on this model on the line 6 website.

Not even a manual.

psarkissian has helped you out with a link, so that's one problem solved...

So, I put fresh batteries in it.

Plugged in a TRS cable from the guitar to the footswitch.
Plugged in a normal 1/4" mono cable from the switch to the guitar input on my Helix Floor unit.
I get no sound.

Good information. Let's simplify your connections to see if we can find where the problem is. Since you have put in fresh batteries, remove the XPS footswitch and Helix from the equation. Plug your regular 1/4" mono cable into the Variax output jack and connect it to your guitar amp. If you have sound, this will verify the output of the Variax, and we can take it from there...

I see there is a variax cable input on the back of the helix, and what looks like an ethernet plug on the guitar.

Yes, this is the VDI connection, a digital interface that permits some Line 6 devices to power and control Variax guitars. The pinout is the same as a Cat-5 ethernet cable, but it's advised that a regular Cat-5 not be used, even though it will work.

I am stuck.
No idea what to do next.
Do I need a special cable?

The reason that it's not advised to use a Cat-5 cable is that the correct cable for making this connection has a metal shell (made by Neutrik) that looks like an XLR microphone connector, and it provides protection and proper pin positioning in the jacks. In a pinch, you could try the Cat-5 connection, but be very careful, and avoid moving around a lot...

Honestly, I am flying blind here.

You're on radar -- keep listening to the control tower!

• Upvote 1