Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Calm like a bomb berse

bowkore

Hi trying to play the verse to calm like a bomb by rage against the machine

Tom uses a whammy to slowly increase the pitch in the verse but doing it by just trying to perfectly hold the expression pedal to those specific notes in pitch is near impossible.

Ive figured out it slowly rises up a perfect 4th before going up the 2 octaves. is there a way to set the expression pedal so that I have to have it depressed at about 30-50% to that pitch before the rest does the remaining pitch shift?

8 hours ago, bowkore said:

Ive figured out it slowly rises up a perfect 4th before going up the 2 octaves. is there a way to set the expression pedal so that I have to have it depressed at about 30-50% to that pitch before the rest does the remaining pitch shift?

I just gave the song a listen... I'm pretty sure that 2nd note is a minor 3rd (D) not a perfect 4th (E).  (my ears may also be deceiving me at 7am)

I also don't hear the initial note "slowly rising up to the 2nd note" as you say.... I hear that 2nd note struck THEN the rise with the whammy begins. Although.... my 2nd option does give you the ability to slide into that 2nd note using a slide which would be very smooth. 

Option 1: Automate the whole process with a Whammy (I have not tried this, but in theory it should work)

• Set the Whammy to AUTO Engage... with it being completely off at heel down. 
  • Set the min value to a minor 3rd (D).... and the max value at two octaves
  • Play a B, then the Whammy will engage with a D and raise to a B two octaves higher than the original. 

Option 2: Manual with the whammy.... 

• Set the whammy at min value 0, and max value 2 octaves and engage it with a footswitch (not auto engage)
  • Play the B note.... 
  • Slide into the D note (with your finger, or with a slide)
  • Raise the whammy while sliding back to the initial B note. You will never hear this downward motion with the Whammy raising the pitch so dramatically. 

If it were me, I would use Option 2. 

Good luck! 

• Upvote 2

I've noticed with the auto engage because the paramater isset to exp1 when it auto engages it doesnt start at 0 since ive used the expression pedal to engage it. Is there a way to set it so that it begins when the auto engage does?

example if i set the auto engage to kick in at 50% with the range of thewhammy going from 0 to +24 auto engage is 50% meaning when the whammy starts itll be at +12 rather than 0. any way around this?

I've never actually used auto engage... but I would suggest setting the MIN setting of the whammy to +3.....   (EG: +3 to +24, not 0 to +24)

In theory... when the auto engage kicks in , it should be at the minor 3rd. 

If auto engage kicks in at the value of the expression, then it will take some serious trial runs to get it right. 

TIP:  I still recommend my 2nd option :) 

On 9/17/2021 at 7:46 AM, codamedia said:

If it were me, I would use Option 2.