Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Comfortably numb

ATF73

Hi can anyone help me, trying to get comfortably numb tone, I’ve tried custom tone but no good, I have a Telecaster, Pod go, and small Marshal amp, can play it no problem but it sounds crap, any help would be much appreciate 

21 hours ago, ATF73 said:

I have a Telecaster  ...   sounds crap

I'm guessing you're a newer player?  Even with the Go, a lot of the tone will come from your guitar.  David Gilmour tone is a bit of a challenge...   On his live versions he used active EMG pickups, so it's quite different from a tele pickup...  So not wanting to rain on your parade, but I think it would be a big challenge to get the exact same tone.  Most of the tones from the shop, paid, etc., will all sound very different depending on your own guitar; and often come in two flavors, humbuckers or single coils.  But yeah, what you start off with makes a big difference... (pickups)

Since I don't own a tele...  I do have a strat, but even then I think its bridge PU will sound quite different.  But for that sort of distorted tone, I've always found bridge strat single coils to be extremely lacking; a bridge humbucker on a super strat (Pacifica, Ibanez, etc.) just sounds and feels just so much more natural to me to get somewhat similar tone/feel to that sound...  DG's active EMG pickups are also completely different beasts, but never tried them.  From the DG page below, even his DiMarzio FS-1 in original recording is apparently darker sounding.

Is there no CF patch from the shop?  If so, you could just use them as your starting point.  I'd think that with a Tele, you might want to use heavy compression to beef up the sound, lower the treble, but hey, total guess on my part.

https://www.gilmourish.com/?p=268

On 9/17/2021 at 5:59 PM, ATF73 said:

Hi can anyone help me, trying to get comfortably numb tone, I’ve tried custom tone but no good, I have a Telecaster, Pod go, and small Marshal amp, can play it no problem but it sounds crap, any help would be much appreciate 

All good stuff from @grdGo33 . Learning about tone takes time, how long have you been playing? Don't forget too that you have volume and tone controls on your guitar; so don't always expect Pod Go to do all the work. 

But I suspect a lot has to do with your amp and how you are using Pod Go with it, not your guitar or pickups, so let's start there.  

1. Which model of Marshall amp do you have exactly, including whether it is valve or solid state, wattage and speaker size? 

2. Does it have an fx loop?

3. How are you connecting Pod Go to it? 

4.  If you are going through the front end of the amp, are you using the Amp out on Pod Go?