Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wobbly Whammy Bar

The Line6 JTV-89F I bought last year is working out great - just one minor issue.  There is a fair amount of play between the tremolo arm assembly and the tremolo arm housing.  

I've googled for possible fixes - one I've come across is replacing the current arm and housing assembly with and older style unit that works on a different principle.  Here is a link to the item:

Will this unit fit in the GraphTech Floyd native to the JTV?

Thanks,

Floyd (Floyd Rose and I were ironically born in the same Colorado town)

I have the same issue.  The arm rattles if I'm trying to use the tremolo across the midpoint.  Sweetwater thought that all Strat tremolos feel the same because it's loose enough to slide in and out at 3 o'clock and sticks around 6 o'clock.  

I solved the issue by placing a small section of spring in the tremolo arm socket.  The upward tension of the spring keeps the collar from coming loose.  The arm is wobble is gone and the arm stays in position.

• 2 months later...

Hi fellow axers...

It sounds like I've had this same issue.... My fix was to remove the entire bridge...VERY CAREFULLY as to not break the piezo cables and underneath where the trem bar inserts was a hex screw that was loose. I tightened that and it fixed my problem..... My 2 cents for anyone else that may come across this problem. :)

• 6 months later...

I just got my Variax JTV89F and pretty sure the F standing for funked up. My bar does not even fit in the hole. It is really hard to get and it appears to be to long becasue the threads do not meet. I would think this should be covered under my warranty. The thing is, I do not have to ship the whole guitar out. It would be great if I could just get a new bar. Does anyone know where i can buy a new bar?

I bet if you took a piece of plumbers Teflon (comes in small string and tape form) and place a few wraps around the trem arm after it's in it's place then screwing the cap over that therefore compressing the Teflon around the tremolo arm creating a very smooth friction feel to it would work well. I also have Teflon stock that comes in handy for all sorts of things. Shaves off the bar nicely with sharp knife. I generally use a shaving or two in my standard Strat tremolo arm  to take up slack from worn threads, creates a nice smooth friction feel to it. It'll wear out but it takes a long time in my experience. Teflon is some tough stuff.

• Upvote 1

tellysguitar

You can get a replacement bar directly from Graph Tech - they made the Floyd on the JTV-89F.  I obtained a replacement bar from them but because of the way the guitar is routed, you have to remove the entire bridge in order to replace the bar and it's assembly.  

My spring solution has proven to be a temporizing measure.  So I may look into peteramm's solution...

F

Finally my whammy bar no longer wobbles.  My solution: replace the arm and arm housing and coupling with a Schaller tremolo arm and arm housing/coupling.  You can not insert a Schaller arm into the Graph Tech arm housing; the Schaller arm is to... girthy.  You have to replace the Graph Tech arm housing and coupling with the Schaller housing and coupling.  No wobble whatsoever with the Schaller arm!