Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting up Helix for stereo sound

cfitch13

In my band, I have some mostly subtle stereo sound effects. Mainly, I use ping-pong delay on some songs that create 3D stereo sound.  There are a few songs where I have hard-panned delay that is sync'ed up to the song so that I can harmonize with myself.  I also (having watched Greta van Fleet rig rundown) have stereo-panning when using the wah for one part.  There's also one song where at the end we all go crazy and I have a stutter sound with hard panning.  I also find it is very effective to contrast the washy stereo sound with some dry mono sound for some songs, or even within the same song.  If it's all washy and reverb'y, it gets tiring really fast IMO. 

How do I use the stereo sound?  I simply give the sound person the left/right XLR cables so that the FOH can get stereo sound.  On stage, I always play in mono using whatever is there: either my own FRFR or going into the power amp of an amp, just to hear myself.  I think that stage stereo sound is unnecessary and may even throw me off, personally, so I use the left/mono plug to hear myself.

At home, I have a pair of Yamaha monitors, where I dial in my sounds.  When I practice at home, I play through these monitors in stereo. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cfitch13 said:

Does anyone run an frfr powered speaker like headrush and 2 studio monitors together to achieve this. 

That configuration no - my monitors in stereo is fin for studio use. For stage I use 2 PC+, generally each with a different amp/cab combination and some stereo effects of varying width. I play in a 3 piece its largely reverbs and delays to provide a more expansive sound. FoH takes a send from the XLRs and can choose to run them as 2 mono sends if required.

• Thanks 1