Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FS toggling via MIDI

rd2rk

Someone on TGP discovered, and I've confirmed, that when using FS toggling from an external controller, ON/OFF Values (127/0) are ignored, the toggle occurs regardless of the Value sent.

Just so you don't go crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with your controller!

Video made, ticket opened.

6 hours ago, phil_m said:

This is the expected behavior… They’re literally emulating the footswitches, which themselves are toggles.

Exactly what they are NOT doing. They're supposed to react to 127 by turning ON, and 0 by turning OFF.

That's what that second column 0-127 means.

What they're doing is toggling the ON/OFF status of the FS REGARDLESS of the Value sent with the CC.

WRONG!

2 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Exactly what they are NOT doing. They're supposed to react to 127 by turning ON, and 0 by turning OFF.

That's what that second column 0-127 means.

What they're doing is toggling the ON/OFF status of the FS REGARDLESS of the Value sent with the CC.

WRONG!

No, man, sorry. look at the way the other CCs that are set up as on/off for different values are documented. These are simply a trigger. There’s no on/off state. It’s just like hitting the footswitch. This is how all the Line 6 floor processors have worked going back to at least the X3L.

So, L6 has NEVER followed the MIDI standard of 127/0?

They understand the difference between toggling and simple CCs in CommandCenter.

I'm surprised they don't respect the standard on the incoming side. Seems silly.

Oh well! I don't use it that way, (though the FCB1010/UNO2 script I wrote makes that assumption, I'll have to add a note to the documentation), but there's a guy over on the TGP HXS thread who's using a BOSS ES-5 who's gonna be really bummed out!

31 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

So, L6 has NEVER followed the MIDI standard of 127/0?

They understand the difference between toggling and simple CCs in CommandCenter.

I'm surprised they don't respect the standard on the incoming side. Seems silly.

Oh well! I don't use it that way, (though the FCB1010/UNO2 script I wrote makes that assumption, I'll have to add a note to the documentation), but there's a guy over on the TGP HXS thread who's using a BOSS ES-5 who's gonna be really bummed out!

They do that for some things. When you assign a block to a CC, yes, 0-63 turns it off and 64-128 turns it on, for instance. But the CC messages associated with the footswitches are for the purpose of emulation. You assign that number to a footswitch, and it essentially creates a remote copy of the footswitch. There’s no on/off state associated with it because footswitches can control multiple things and those things just toggle back and forth each time you press the footswitch.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, phil_m said:

They do that for some things. When you assign a block to a CC, yes, 0-63 turns it off and 64-128 turns it on, for instance. But the CC messages associated with the footswitches are for the purpose of emulation. You assign that number to a footswitch, and it essentially creates a remote copy of the footswitch. There’s no on/off state associated with it because footswitches can control multiple things and those things just toggle back and forth each time you press the footswitch.

Now THAT makes sense! Thanks! I'll tell TGP guy!

EDIT: So, if you assign a different CC# than the one used by the Helix for FS emulation, it will toggle the FS as expected using 127/0. IT WILL NOT ACTVATE THE SECONDARY FUNCTIONS ASSIGNED TO THE PHYSICAL FS!"

I just tried it using CC#112 with 127/0 values, and it worked as I described. The Block toggled, and the secondary function of the physical FS (changing a level elsewhere) was NOT activated, but using the physical FS behaved as expected. So you can use both methods at the same time.