Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Helix rack the right choice for me?

Glouglou

As the title says, I'm thinking about going the Helix direction but would like to confirm with experienced users that this is the right unit for my needs.

I'm a living room musician with decent home studio.  One man project.  My music is kind of folk-trip-hop with an industrial twist.  This is with acoustic guitar + voice upfront wrapped in lots of electronic and sound textures.  I so include some electric guitar to my sound palette but I'm not looking for 'tone purity'.  I have a usa strat (for smoother stuff) + kramer baretta (for riffing).  For my electric guitar I will occasionally want true tones but more often than not I will want creative and varied textures over pure realistic tones.  And that's for the 1% of the time I will be tracking electric guitar.  For 99% of the time the Helix back inputs will be hard-wired to synths and mixer sends to process analog-ish type sounds in creative ways.  So basically I want a big dsp multi-fx that is very flexible and creatively inspiring and that can also occasionally do nice guitar tones.

From what I have seen from internet resources the Helix seem more flexible in terms of routing and the interface seem to me a little better than the competition for experimentation.  

Is the Helix the right one for me?

Thats kind of what I do.  I run a synth in using 2 stereo effects loops and give it its own path with effects and filters.  I use another path for the electric guitar and amp model/effects.  I plug a mic and and set its own path with the mic preamp and reverb to capture my acoustic and bring everything together with a stereo looper at the end.  Plus I can have USB audio playing at the same time.  Helix is the brains of my studio.

Also, Rack us nice if you don't want the computer on and/or have to bend over to make changes.  Rack is up and eye level and controller is on the floor.