Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

is XLR and AES stereo or mono to FoH?

GrampaBob

Hi quick question.....running a helix via AES cable to powercab then XLR out from the powercab to mixer then out to mains.  Would stereo effects output thru the mixer mains as stereo with this setup?

If yes, can you simply flip mono delays in current presets for example into stereo and tweak as necessary?

32 minutes ago, GrampaBob said:

running a helix via AES cable to powercab then XLR out from the powercab to mixer then out to mains.  Would stereo effects output thru the mixer mains as stereo with this setup?

If you're taking both  PC+ XLR outs to separate channels on the board, then yes, as the signal that enters the PC+ from Helix goes straight to the XLRs (or through the Speakers/User IRs). That's also why the Volume Knob on the PC+ does not affect the XLR Outs. That level is controlled by the Output of the Helix.

32 minutes ago, GrampaBob said:

If yes, can you simply flip mono delays in current presets for example into stereo and tweak as necessary?

A Mono effect outputs dual Mono, not stereo. IOW - although the Paths are stereo (R/L) the signal on the Left of the Path is the same as the signal on the Right of the Path.

That's why, for instance, there's no MONO Ping Pong Delay.

33 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you're taking both  PC+ XLR outs to separate channels on the board, then yes, as the signal that enters the PC+ from Helix goes straight to the XLRs (or through the Speakers/User IRs). That's also why the Volume Knob on the PC+ does not affect the XLR Outs. That level is controlled by the Output of the Helix.

A Mono effect outputs dual Mono, not stereo. IOW - although the Paths are stereo (R/L) the signal on the Left of the Path is the same as the signal on the Right of the Path.

That's why, for instance, there's no MONO Ping Pong Delay.

Thnx.  Hrmmm, I have the PC+ 112 so I only have the single XLR out.  So it looks like I'm mono only then.  All good, I didn;t know if XLR carried a mono or stereo signal if the opportunity presented itself.  I guess I could have googled it, but then it wouldn't be expert advice like I get here.

If you're using the PC+ as FRFR you'd be better off using the Helix XLR sends direct to FoH. This won't work if you're using the PC+ cab sims.

Or buy a second PC+ and daisy chain via AES (makes on left and one right, and with room on stage they sound massive) and take an XLR send from each.

I have the PC212+, so since you didn't specify. In your case, if you want stereo at the board and mono to the PC112+, you should split the Path into two outputs. That way you can have MONO FX to the Digital Out, and Stereo FX to the XLR Outs of the Helix, with the Helix XLRs connected to the board. Gives you total control of the details of each signal - Stereo/Mono FX, cabs/IRs, EQs, etc. 

Be aware that, unless you're doing your own sound, most FOH techs will resist using two channels for your stereo guitar FX, and in most venues, stereo FOH doesn't sound all that good anyway. It makes the audience experience more dependent on where exactly they are in the venue, and complicates the FOH tech's job.

Also, when you disable the BIG KNOB for your stage level (it should always be disabled for FOH), you have to run back and forth to the PC to change your stage level. While there is theoretically a very slight difference in tone between extreme settings of the BIG KNOB, it is virtually undetectable to mortals. Only those cursed with GOLDEN EARS can hear it. :-)

Just be careful that the MAX level you intend to use doesn't drive the PC+ input into the red. A workaround for this is to use an expression pedal set in Command Center to CC#7 (requires a MIDI cable between the Helix and PC+). Max the BIG KNOB and set the Output levels of your presets for best signal to the PC+ (in the yellow, occasional flashes of red ok), then use the expression pedal to control the PC+ Output remotely.