Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ADD tuner into the HX EDIT

Punkyboy

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Do a search on "TUNER" and vote for all of the suggestions

Most of which would probably have been posted by “spikey”, who had a thing about the tuner.

He hasn’t posted here for quite some time - last visit back in March. Guess he has gone over to the dark side now, IIRC he did mention getting on the list for the Neural QC. I did point out that I wasn’t sure if that had a tuner in the editor ;-)

link:

https://line6.com/support/topic/59600-quad-cortex-and-hx-effects/?tab=comments#comment-371078

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I'll say it again.... HX Edit does not process audio. I have no idea how much work would be required to make HX Edit receive and process an audio signal. I'm just saying it doesn't currently do it. It's all command and control data that goes in and out over that usb cable. No audio. So not really that obvious to add a tuner, at least not to me.

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2022 at 5:21 PM, silverhead said:

Yeah, I'll say it again.... HX Edit does not process audio. I have no idea how much work would be required to make HX Edit receive and process an audio signal. I'm just saying it doesn't currently do it. It's all command and control data that goes in and out over that usb cable. No audio. So not really that obvious to add a tuner, at least not to me.

You really wouldn't need it to.  The Helix DOES process it,  so you could program HX Edit to turn on the Helix's tuner and then simply mirror the data.  The Helix would be the device doing the tuning, with HX Edit just passing along the info.

Edited by Kilrahi
  • Upvote 1

On 10/5/2022 at 7:17 PM, Kilrahi said:

You really wouldn't need it to.  The Helix DOES process it,  so you could program HX Edit to turn on the Helix's tuner and then simply mirror the data.  The Helix would be the device doing the tuning, with HX Edit just passing along the info.

agreed, the early versions of AXE FX that I had had the tuner in the editor and no audio was processed there.  I'm fine without, but dont understand why its not a thing. 

On 10/5/2022 at 7:21 PM, silverhead said:

Well that makes sense...

Any good standalone tuners out there I can use without opening a DAW?

On 10/6/2022 at 9:17 AM, themetallikid said:

agreed, the early versions of AXE FX that I had had the tuner in the editor and no audio was processed there.  I'm fine without, but dont understand why its not a thing. 

And I don't understand why brain dead middle managers are always wildly inept, and dumber than the people they manage... but yet there they are, dumbing their way through life, thoroughly convinced that they're geniuses. But who cares? Knowing the answer won't change anything.

Fortunately a $12 clip-on tuner renders all the "why" discussions moot, anyway.

Next.... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/7/2022 at 9:11 AM, cruisinon2 said:

And I don't understand why brain dead middle managers are always wildly inept, and dumber than the people they manage...

My theory: Middle managers are appointed by upper managers, who are in turn appointed by Vice Presidents. The average life expectancy of a VP is one fiscal year. They appoint incompetents to protect their positions, and they in turn promote incompetents to protect theirs. And so it goes.

There's also "The Peter Principle" - promotion to one's highest level of incompetence.

On 10/7/2022 at 9:11 AM, cruisinon2 said:

But who cares? Knowing the answer won't change anything.

So true!

there's so value in it imo....and would be a mess on windows if you tried to stream at the same time. It would introduce massive instability on Windows...trivial on a Mac tho...but how can one make money on adding a tuner to a computer application where there are plenty of other places in the workflow?

On 10/7/2022 at 1:39 PM, silverhead said:

Oh how jaded we bottom dwellers are. Does the Peter Principle also apply to us? Just how incompetent are we, then?

If you think about it, many of us PAY (the price of complicated modelers) to be promoted to our highest level of incompetence! :-P

• Haha 2

On 10/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, spaceatl said:

there's so value in it imo....and would be a mess on windows if you tried to stream at the same time. It would introduce massive instability on Windows...trivial on a Mac tho...but how can one make money on adding a tuner to a computer application where there are plenty of other places in the workflow?

This just isn't true at all.  The amount of data it's communicating would be minimal,  and it wouldn't have to be a stream.  Tuner on Helix says your E string is at D - it passes that info to HX Edit.  That's it. Takes less than a second.  It's a simple number no more complicated than when your Helix tells HX Edit you've selected a Tone Sovereign overdrive. 

I think it would be nice to have.  A bunch of you don't care.  Cool.  I don't whine incessantly about it and it's not huge to me - but I don't care that some of you don't care.  I think it would be a clear improvement. 

Fight me.

On 10/8/2022 at 1:01 AM, Kilrahi said:

Fight me.

Well that escalated quickly, lol...

And none of them care that you don't care that they don't care... seeing the pattern yet? But far be it from me to interfere in a good old fashioned rumble. Let the games begin!

"Are you not entertained?!?!?!!" lmao...

• Haha 3

On 10/5/2022 at 6:21 PM, silverhead said:

Yeah, I'll say it again.... HX Edit does not process audio.

It doesn't have to process audio, it needs to process the information for the tuner graphics. My cheesy BOSS GT-1 editor doesn't process audio either... but the tuner works quite well. It's just getting it's info from the GT-1 itself and displaying it. 

I get it... there is obviously a reason they can't do it. Maybe it's because of the USB communication but it may also be as simple as "why bother, just turn around and look at your helix" :) 

• Upvote 1