Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HX Effects with Morningstar MC8 not working, blinking lights.

st158791

So a while back I purchased the HX FX and a Morningstar MC8.  I was never able to do basic PC changes to the MC8 from the HX FX.  So I kind of gave up on it.  Not knowing if it was Line6 or MC8 that was having trouble.  I can use the MC8 to send changes to the HX FX but I can't change any of the programs on the MC8 from the HXFX.  So I gave it another go tonight and was able to make some PC changes to the MC8 but immediately the HXFX and the MC8 start blinking all there preset lights.  I have to turn of the Line 6 HX FX to quit this action.  I'm beginning to think that the line 6 unit is defective in some capacity.  I'm able to do PC messages to my amp from the HXFX but not to the Morning star.  I even have a VooDoo labs control switcher that both units can make changes to.  So I'm at a lost to solve this problem.

Has anyone had this blinking light issue?  It's like I'm almost there but something isn't computing just right.  Last resort would be to do a full factory reset.  I purchased the unit at Guitar Center but the box was already opened once, even though it came from the backroom.

It's called a MIDI feedback loop. Two devices sending each other messages that trigger return messages that trigger return messages.....eventually there's a buffer overrun or some such geeky thing and one or both units freak out.

Use a MIDI Monitor to make sure that when you send a message, the receiving device doesn't send back a message that triggers another message.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rd2rk said:

It's called a MIDI feedback loop. Two devices sending each other messages that trigger return messages that trigger return messages.....eventually there's a buffer overrun or some such geeky thing and one or both units freak out.

Use a MIDI Monitor to make sure that when you send a message, the receiving device doesn't send back a message that triggers another message.

Thanks rd2rk.  The Morningstar software has a Midi Monitor built in it's software and it's receiving those repeated signals.  Looks like I have to download some software to check on the line6 product.  I'm new to this stuff and I'll be leaving for work soon.  So this will have to wait until this later today.  What I've read quickly on line so far is that maybe resetting one or both units might be my resolve, I hope so.