Jump to content

Restoring a preset


TheDarkKnight1
 Share

Recommended Posts

The process of saving individual presets to your computer which cruison2 alluded to is called exporting.

In HX-Edit you will see two buttons at the top on the left sidebar called export.

You should familiarize yourself with those and learn the difference between them.

 

Once you have successfully exported your presets to the computer you can then import them back in the same way.

If you import a preset it will overwrite what is there.

 

Take some time reading up and learn to use your gear.  The temptation is to just go ahead and learn by doing but there is a whole lot of stuff you will likely never learn by accidentally coming across it.  You should do some studying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use 2 preset folders.  One acts as a backup of everything.  That way when I accidentally overwrite something, I have a backup folder with all my presets. 

 

Also, I back up everything every single time I make a change.  If I need to restore specific presets, I can just restore from a backup into a free folder, and then copy from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In case you need just a single preset of a backup and didn't export it separately, do this:

 

- Backup the Helix.

- Load the backup containing the preset in question.

- Export the preset in question.

- Reload the backup you just created.

- Import the preset you've exported.

 

Et voila.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2021 at 8:54 AM, TheDarkKnight1 said:

Hi everyone,

 

I occasionally make the error of overwriting presets. Is there a way to restore a single preset from a backup?

 

You no longer have to mess around with restoring a prior backup or setlist and then exporting and importing, there is a better way available. If you have a prior backup (you probably have at least one from last time you upgraded the firmware) just do this:

 

  1. Using HX Edit click on 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup'
  2. Navigate to and select the backup you want to extract from and follow the prompts
  3. You should now have every preset in individual files from your backups, separated in directories named after your setlists. The backup utility will even prompt you when it completes and dump you in the master directory for the extracted presets.
  4. Back in HX Edit, highlight the slot you want to place your preset in, use the 'Import' function, and navigate to the file for the preset you want to restore.

 

The ease of use of the 'Extract Files From Backup' utility provides yet another great reason to make periodic backups.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

 

Cool. This escaped me. Not that I ever needed any such a function, but it's pretty good to know it's there. Has this been exisiting for longer already?

 

It's been around for a couple/few of the more recent firmware & HX Edit versions but sort of flying under the radar.  It had a few bugs when first released. They got fixed though and it really is handy.  One of the only things in HX Edit that works offline too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

It's been around for a couple/few of the more recent firmware & HX Edit versions but sort of flying under the radar.  It had a few bugs when first released. They got fixed though and it really is handy.  One of the only things in HX Edit that works offline too.

 

I see. Quite strange that it's working offline, though. I mean, usually you'd want this functionality to actually get a patch back onto your device.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2021 at 4:28 AM, SaschaFranck said:

 

I see. Quite strange that it's working offline, though. I mean, usually you'd want this functionality to actually get a patch back onto your device.

 

I would see retrieving a patch as the most likely scenario as well. I appreciate that they set it up for offline use though.  It doesn't require any data from your HX device; only a backup file from your local filesystem; so I guess they figured, why not? 

 

Could also see it coming in handy perhaps in a scenario where your device is locking up and your last backup file is corrupt or not loading properly.  At least you might be able to get at your setlists and presets via an old backup and load them up piecemeal in an effort to recover as much as possible. Personally I was happy to see this come along because part of my firmware update process always used to be an export/backup of all my setlists and presets individually in addition to a full backup. This is considerably less hassle.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 12:55 AM, HonestOpinion said:

 

You no longer have to mess around with restoring a prior backup or setlist and then exporting and importing, there is a better way available. If you have a prior backup (you probably have at least one from last time you upgraded the firmware) just do this:

 

  1. Using HX Edit click on 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup'
  2. Navigate to and select the backup you want to extract from and follow the prompts
  3. You should now have every preset in individual files from your backups, separated in directories named after your setlists. The backup utility will even prompt you when it completes and dump you in the master directory for the extracted presets.
  4. Back in HX Edit, highlight the slot you want to place your preset in, use the 'Import' function, and navigate to the file for the preset you want to restore.

 

The ease of use of the 'Extract Files From Backup' utility provides yet another great reason to make periodic backups.

This does not exist in the latest version of HX Edit I have. "Extract Files From Backup" is not an option in my file menu. I have the latest version of HX Edit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, TheDarkKnight1 said:

This does not exist in the latest version of HX Edit I have. "Extract Files From Backup" is not an option in my file menu. I have the latest version of HX Edit.


Hi,

 

Yes it does.

 

As noted by “PerS” in the post above - Page 28 in Hx Edit Pilot's Guide.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f137e660b4f6a285cb7/application/pdf/HX Edit 3.11 Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, TheDarkKnight1 said:

This does not exist in the latest version of HX Edit I have. "Extract Files From Backup" is not an option in my file menu. I have the latest version of HX Edit.

 

It is definitely there in HX Edit 3.11(currently the latest HX Edit version), as @Pers and @datacommando pointed out.  I would check under 'Help' --> 'About HX Edit' and ensure I was running HX Edit 3.11.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...